Realmlist.wtf" could not be opened

#0 - May 20, 2009, 12:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Today, when I tried to patch to 3.1.2, I get this error:

Q u o t e:
The update could not be applied.
The file "\enUS-hdfiles\Data\enUS\realmlist.wtf" could not be opened. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Open)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

I know I have my realmlist in my Data\enUS\ folder. I just don't know what \enUS-hdfiles\ is supposed to be. I tried to repair, but the repair client said the amount of missing files is too large to repair, and I should try to reinstall WoW.

Which brings me to my next problem. I recently downloaded the PTR for 3.1.2. Instead of being smart like I should have, I was stupid and moved my data and interface folders to the PTR folder instead of copying them. After this, the PTR still didn't work, so I decided to delete the PTR folder. The folder was too big to fit into my recycle bin, so Windows automatically threw the folder out. Well, now I have no Data and Interface folders for my regular WoW client.

So now I decide to restore my computer to a previous backup. While after this, WoW worked up until today, when I had to install 3.1.2, and that's when I got the previous error.

What I need is a way to fix this problem without having to reinstall. I'd really not like to go through every single repatch AND loose all of my UI addons. I know I'm probably missing a whole ton of Data files, but I don't exactly care about that if it means not having to reinstall WoW. However, if I knew of a way to reinstall while still keeping patch, interface, and expanision data, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thanks
#2 - May 21, 2009, 3:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello Aldorann,

Q u o t e:
The file "\enUS-hdfiles\Data\enUS\realmlist.wtf" could not be opened.

Your only option if you don't want to install and patch conventionally, is to copy the World of Warcraft folder from another computer that has successfully patched. You can copy the World of Warcraft folder with a flash drive, external hard drive, or through your network, using Windows File Sharing.

If this isn't possible, you'll need to uninstall, defragment your hard drive (this is a key step), and reinstall.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/21144