Current kitty DPS

#0 - June 15, 2009, 6:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi guys, i've not played for a little while on my puddy tat so i was just wondering what the current DPS state of kitty cats is like? Anyone here using mostly Ulduar gear? What kind of DPS are you putting out?

Also, for those cats out there that are at the top of the tree...are you using ArP? And if so is it sexeh nais?
#43 - June 17, 2009, 2:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Or to pick up the most important bit - Ghostcrawler's comment: "Kitty dps is probably a little too high"

It is true that Cat DPS may be a little too high, but it is important to also highlight that this is not merely a matter of throwing in a nerf here or there. Adjusting Cat DPS is rather complicated because of the fact that it is a demanding spec to play well.

If we are to adjust Cat DPS, we will have to avoid doing it in a way that makes it a simple matter for the more adept players to adjust, but harder for those of less experience. It is not our intent to punish the less skilled players with a massive loss of damage output.
#71 - June 18, 2009, 11:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Though the problem is where you say it is not your intent to punish less skilled players. This may have been just a poor choice of words, but GC has said before that they want hybrids to be able to do competitive DPS along side pure DPS classes, if the player is skilled and able to get the most from his class. This would leave an unskilled player a bit behind. What you are doing now, is catering for unskilled, and therefore skilled players are now beating most, if not all pure dpsers.

I think some clarification is needed here. When we say that it is not our intent to punish less skilled players, we don't mean that we will change Cats to cater entirely for those players by guaranteeing them equal DPS as the skilled players. Skilled players will always be better at managing rotations as well as cooldowns, and they will always have a greater sense of their surroundings that makes them better at adapting to different situations, and as such they will therefore always be rewarded with a higher damage output and survivability, and this is not something we wish to change.

We are simply saying that if we adjust Cat DPS, we will have to be careful not to adjust it in a way so that the less skilful players will see an enormous loss of DPS whereas the more adept players will only notice a slight change in their damage output.

This being said, you should know that we do not consider Cats to be very overpowered. If we do decide to lower the damage output, it will only be a minor nerf.

Soon it is time for some PTR testing and we hope to get a lot of testing done to help us monitor the performance of Cats.
#82 - June 18, 2009, 12:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

What game are you playing? Feral cats are dishing out WAY too much damage. 6-7K DPS isn't too high?!
They are doing more damage than pure classes on single target bosses. Wow really?

You will have to remember that boss encounters are quite different from each other, especially in regards to Ulduar bosses, so depending on which boss you look at, the list of whose DPS is highest will change. I think many players don't keep this in mind when they compare their damage output with of other classes, which often leads them to ignore the boss encounters where they perform well, and instead only focus on the bosses where they get outdamage by other classes.

Feral Cats do quite a lot of damage on some bosses, and not so much on others.