LFR 50% boss suggestion

#1 - Feb. 1, 2013, 1:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Would LFR be better if the changed the amount of bosses got reduced for that raid?

For example: MSV -> instead of LFR allowing you to kill every boss, let it be only the first 3.

Pro's:

- New players discover what the basic principles of raiding are.

- Players don't see the entire raids of a new patch in less then 2 hours, but instead they get a feel for how the new raid feels and what it looks like, and incase they want to discover the other part they are encouraged to join a raiding guild and really get into the game.

- Less gear; This is again an encouragement for players to join raiding guilds. If they want to be in full PVE epics they have to join a raiding guild. I don't think with the current LFR difficulty LFR players should be able to be able to have full tier and full epic gear just by running LFR (this isn't a special snowflake thing by any means, but I do believe it removes the "Epic" feeling when seeing a player in full tier gear [LFR looks the same, just some color changes])

- I think players would also feel less "forced" to run LFR since it's only the first 50% of the bosses (= less gear obtainable). I don't know how strong the LFR gear will be in 5.2 but I do think the guilds that raid normal modes and those that are just stepping into heroic modes (which I think is the majority of the raiding guilds) will find many upgrades there, and incase they want to bring their A-game for the guild it would be very benefical for them to run 5.2 LFR, even if they don't want to.

- More pugs: Players who can't join a raiding guild due to IRL would be encouraged to create a pug when they have the time for it, this increase the amount of pugs, which is good for other players like them or player who like to gear up alts etc, and this could also be good for the realm community as you get to learn other players.

Cons:

- Some players would not be able to see the entire content

- Gearing up alts would be harder, as you can't receive full BIS LFR gear anymore.

This was just an Idea that I feel would improve the implementation of LFR, feel free to throw some ideas of your own and disccus!
Forum Avatar
Community
#4 - Feb. 1, 2013, 4:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Pro's:

- New players discover what the basic principles of raiding are.

Raid Finder is not an introductory tool for raiding. It's aimed to players that can't participate in organized raiding (or don't wish to) for whatever reason.

Players don't see the entire raids of a new patch in less then 2 hours, but instead they get a feel for how the new raid feels and what it looks like, and incase they want to discover the other part they are encouraged to join a raiding guild and really get into the game.

It's true that if you're a normal or heroic raider, it kinda sucks to go in and discover the whole place in just 2 hours. For 5.0.4 raids, Raid Finder was unlocked one week after the raid was released on normal mode.

Less gear; This is again an encouragement for players to join raiding guilds.

Which is exactly the opposite of what LFR is supposed to do. It should be a venue of character progression for those players. Arbitrarily punishing them so they join raids would defeat the purpose of it in the first place. The gear is already lower ilvl, and the other rewards from Raid Finder are lower as well.

More pugs: Players who can't join a raiding guild due to IRL would be encouraged to create a pug when they have the time for it

So, if we get rid of half the content from the Raid Finder, players are going to get into more pugs because we got rid of the abilty to conveniently get into pugs? Think about it, players who can't join a raiding guild probably can't schedule either their playtime with complete strangers.

Gearing up alts would be harder, as you can't receive full BIS LFR gear anymore.

BiS LFR gear? At this rate, I swear one day we'll see "BiS green gear" used as an argument to justify something... I'm not attacking your point though (especially for those that enjoy gearing up alts it'd be definitely a negative aspect).
Forum Avatar
Community
#59 - Feb. 4, 2013, 10:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/02/2013 22:50Posted by Mirenia
Looking at people with epic gear should be a motivator to get yourself into raiding, and if you don't have the time for it, then to bad for you. Get over it.

You can't control people's motivations. For many players out there, gear is not the objective, just the mean to an end (defeating more difficult foes).

01/02/2013 22:50Posted by Mirenia
Having LFR as a tool for those who cannot commit to organized is fine (all thought I dont agree to it), but why do they have to get gear from it? It's not like they're gonna need it if they're not gonna start in normal/HC modes. They get to see the content anyway.

We all log in to progress our characters, so removing gear from the Raid Finder because "they're not gonna start in normal/HC modes" is not really fair. Also, there are players that do take the gear they get from Raid Finder to normal/Heroic modes, as they use this venue as just another way to gear up and get something better in those slots than the blues/greens from the leveling experience and 5-mans.

02/02/2013 09:07Posted by Elderlyone
I wish there was an LFR for every raid mode i.e normal etc...

It wouldn't really work though. 25 strangers that have never played together would not be able to defeat Garalon (just look at the changes his Raid Finder version went through shortly after being released on the live realms).

02/02/2013 19:55Posted by Nyran
I've been an active raider from Molten Core to Dragon Soul, but nowadays I've grown a bit tired of adhering to the schedules of organised raiding guilds. Now I prefer raiding on my own terms, whenever I feel like it, and LFR grants me that. It's what keeps me subscribed to this game. I wouldn't mind a bit more ilvl disparity between LFR and normal/heroic (I think 5.2 is doing that already?) but I'd like to keep the ability to see the raids and improve my character please.

This is something I've seen around myself (and I guess I'm not the only one that can relate to this experience?) as we get older, and schedules, real life, work and other things get in the way, some friends had to become more casual in order to keep playing.

Just as a reminder, next Monday, WoW will turn 8 in Europe, just think about how much your life has changed in 8 years, even if you weren't playing back in Vanilla :-)

03/02/2013 00:43Posted by Tomoshibi
If you don't have a time for something. Why should you as a game creator make it easier for those who doesn't have time to play your game? I don't get it!

The opposite would be having raid content be seen by a minimal amount of players, which is not good, particularly when it comes to how the developers can better spend their time designing content.

04/02/2013 08:04Posted by Bubblelric
So basically, because I'm 30 years old and married with a child, i work 9-11 hours per day and can not commit to my guild raiding time, I'm not entitled to the option of seeing raids or getting some gear, I do not pvp, I never had, used to be able to raid in vanilla and BC, but now I can't and lfr is perfect for me

Not so long ago (12 years ago?) it was believed that the average gamer stopped playing videogames at some point on his mid 20s due to real life constraints and would stop playing altogether.

If you think about it, and the games we had back then, it kinda makes sense. Most of them were still rather hardcore and not accessible to what we consider today a casual gamer, so it's not entirely surprising to see people out there that think that because you're 30 years old you shout put gaming down and move on.
Forum Avatar
Community
#67 - Feb. 4, 2013, 1:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/02/2013 12:31Posted by Tjillin
How about having one boss per patch, or even per expansion, that you can only see at normal raiding and up? That you would have to clear normal just to be able to see it?

There is such a boss in Patch 5.2 :-)
Forum Avatar
Community
#71 - Feb. 4, 2013, 2:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/02/2013 13:32Posted by Nzall
are you referring to Ra-Den? because that's a heroic only boss. we're talking about a boss that's available to everyone but LFR players. so you kill all normal bosses that also are in LFR, but you then get an extra boss in normal that's also in heroic, but not in LFR. as far as I know, Ra-Den was always announced as a heroic only boss.

Yes I was referring to Ra-Den, I misread the original quote as "above normal". So, just to clarify, Ra-Den is only available on Heroic difficulty (which still falls in the line of content that is not on LFR tho).