Farming old instances = permaban. Why?

#1 - Aug. 12, 2013, 6 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So, one day I decided to farm some old content (botanica, shadow labs, karazhan, etc.) for some transmog gear, gold, reputations, cloth, with my freshly dinged druid account. I spent like maybe 6-8 hours farming killing trash and reseting instances.
So like usual I entered instance (shadow lab) and got disconnected. After few unsuccessful attempts to relog (incorrect password) I checked an email and the first letter was:

Battle.net Account - Password Reset

We have reset the password for the Battle.net account associated with this email address. To choose a new password, click this link and follow the instructions:
<link>

If you did not request this password reset, it is possible that this Battle.net account has been accessed by someone not authorized to do so. If you notice issues with the Battle.net account or associated games after logging in with your new password, please submit a ticket.

Well, I knew that compromise is even theoretically impossible since I have a solid protection along with physical authenticator (GM lately said, no compromise was detected)
So I changed my password and the next time I tried to connect to the game, baam, This account is permanently banned.
I was like really? What? I checked email again and next letter was:

Account: WOW1
Offense: Use of Bots or Third-Party Automation Software

Blizzard Entertainment has terminated this World of Warcraft license after identifying the usage of bots or other cheat software.

These programs (commonly called cheats, bots, and hacks) automate certain aspects of gameplay, or provide unintended advantages and abilities to the player. This type of cheating undermines other players' experience and severely upsets the balance of the game environment.

Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to terminate access for conduct of this nature, with or without warning, as noted in the World of Warcraft Terms of Use:
http://www.blizzard.com/company/legal/wow_tou.html

Since I know I havent used any bots/hacks etc, I tried to contact GM to sort this. Luckly It didnt take long and GM asnwered me in game (on my another acc). He looked at banned account and unbanned it moments later since it was clear false positive.
I asked GM what exactly I did wrong and why you banned me. He said he cant give information like that since others may know about. I asked what should I do to avoid such things in a future. Well, he said, try to avoid doing repetitive tasks in game.
Honestly, It just doesnt feel right. Why farming some old instances is treated as "repetitive tasks".
I was always sure that whoever uses cheat software and gets banned is indeed guilty in doing so, since (I thought) it must be some sort of investigation to be made before any ban is issued.
Well, now Im sitting with my druid in a town and afraid to go anywhere since game can give you a permaban for doing "repetitive task" and later call them "Use of Bots or Third-Party Automation Software" and who knows if you get unbanned next time.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
Forum Avatar
Blizzard Employee
#34 - March 22, 2016, 4:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thread is 3 years old.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only here for a while so let me know how I am getting on!
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/Thraugkon