ERROR #121 (0x85100079) Version Mismatch

#0 - Sept. 23, 2010, 6:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi,

I have been having various issues with various WoW programs (background downloader, WoW.exe, Repair) as I will attempt to outline below, so someone can help me fix the above mentioned error I am now receiving.

It all began with getting the runtime errors in the background downloader, I followed the instructions at http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26850246346&postId=268477703674&sid=1#0 to fix it. I was then able to start the downloader.

Then, after maintenance on Tuesday, however, I was unable to run WoW as I am getting the above error each time, only with slight variations as to the DBC file:
- DBFilesClient\BattlemasterList.dbc has wrong number of columns (found 31, expected 32)
- DBFilesClient\Achievement_Criteria.dbc has wrong number of columns (found 28, expected 31)

I went back to these forums, and found the instructions at http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=26859118266&postId=268476319431&sid=1#1 to attempt to correct this (new) problem. Unfortunately, every time I run the repair utility, it gets to the very end and errors out with "Blizzard Repair has failed to revert to an earlier version. Please delete patch.mpq and try again."

The issue is that I no longer have patch.mpq in any of the directories, so I don't know where to go from here. I know I am running the latest versions of Windows XP and Internet Explorer as I always run Windows Update. Can someone help me with this so I can get WoW running again? I really would rather not have to re-install, because in a couple weeks I'm getting a new hard drive and will be putting a fresh install of Windows and WoW on it so I don't want to have to go through the WoW installation process twice in a month (especially since it takes nearly a day to install and patch to complete).

I will post my wow errors from the crash dump files if you need them - I didn't want to post them here and create a 2-screen-long message.

Thank you in advance.

#2 - Sept. 24, 2010, 1:05 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Elywynne,

If reverting and running the repair utility doesn't solve it, I'm afraid you'll need to reinstall.

In order to revert the game to a previous version, please try the following steps:

1. Open your World of Warcraft directory (This is commonly located at C:\Program files\World of Warcraft or C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft for Vista/7 users).
2. Open the folder called "Data"
3. Delete Patch.MPQ, Patch-2.MPQ, and any other file with the word "Patch" in it that ends with "MPQ"
4. Run the repair.exe utility found in the World of Warcraft directory
5. Click the button "Reset and Check Files"
6. The repair utility will say, "World of Warcraft is seriously damaged and will need to be reverted to an earlier version. After it has been reverted you may need to patch up to continue playing."
7. Once the repair utility has completed, you will need to reapply the patch to enter the game.

In order to remove World of Warcraft safely from your system, you will need to go into your Control Panel and use Add/Remove Programs. To do this, first go to the Start/Windows button, click Control Panel, and then double click on Add or Remove Programs.

-For Windows XP, you will have the add/remove programs option.
-For Windows Vista/7, you will have an uninstall/remove option under the "Programs" or "Programs and Features" section.

If the game is not listed in your Add/Remove Programs, or you receive an error during the uninstallation process, then you will have to manually uninstall the game by deleting the application directory where the program was installed. The default location is "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft". On Vista/7, this folder may also have been moved to "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft".

You may also want to search your hard drive for any Warcraft related files and delete them, including your Temporary folders and the Blizzard Entertainment folder from the common files folder. These folders will normally be located at:

C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<YourName>\Local Settings\Temp
(Delete all files in these folders that you are able to. Some files may be used by other programs and not able to be deleted.)

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft
(Select and Delete this folder if it exists)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Blizzard Entertainment

C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft\

Once uninstalled, please also remove the remaining World of Warcraft game folder if this has not been done already. Once all previous files have been removed, re-run the installer from the installation CD or downloaded install files to reinstall the game.

*Note* If you have the Wrath of the Lich King DVD available, you can install using this DVD as it will contain the files for the full game installation, and this will reduce the number of patches needed after.

After the game is re-installed, please make sure to not reinstall any custom UIs. Connect to the game servers and download the latest patches to test the game.