Ion in dev interview: "Leveling is broken."

#1 - May 10, 2016, 5:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANjsSg8JXGo
Starts at 1:55. (sorry for short video, it was the first one I saw)

I think he brings up a lot of really good points. Leveling really is completely broken and has been pretty ignored since it was revamped in Cataclysm, and when it has been changed, it's only been nerfs. It's way too easy to the point of triviality, even without heirlooms.

What things do you think Blizz could do to change leveling?

A few things I think could help:

1.) Add in an optional feature to have mobs scale to your level in older zones: Outleveling zones is a MASSIVE issue while leveling due to increased amounts of XP-gains and decreased amounts of XP needed. Having an OPTIONAL level scaling feature would allow people to complete an entire zone's quests without leveling past the intended range. I put this as optional because I'm not sure if I'd want to force it upon everyone.

2.) Do a solid damage and defense nerf across the board for pre-90 zones. Everything pre-Draenor (or maybe Pandaria) dies in a solid 3-4 seconds (as brought up by Ion), even without heirlooms. You can casually take down 3-4 mobs on you, when in the past that meant certain death. Also increase mob health by a solid amount so that they're not killed in three hits. I think that only with FULL heirlooms should mobs die that quickly, and maybe even that is too quick. Damage is absolutely absurd at low levels. Dungeons are stompable to the point where it isn't funny and people are soloing them at their intended level. This needs to change.

Here's a reddit post about a 'new' player talking about how low level dungeons are broken:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4jbsmc/as_a_relatively_new_player_when_do_dungeons_get/

3.) Completely revamp when classes get certain spells, and add some new passive talents to receive when leveling. This would solve two issues: classes getting the majority of their spells pre-level 20 (like Destro Locks getting Chaos Bolt at level 10), and some classes going 15+ levels with no new spells or talents (WW Monk). Have spells like ChaosBolt and others be received later since they're more powerful spells, and maybe add in passives you receive while leveling to power up your spells to the tuning they're supposed to be at at level cap (i.e, Incinerate does 15% less damage at level 10 than it does now, but every so often you receive a passive that increases its damage by 5%, until you reach the intended tuning value at level cap).

edit:
I should say that I don't want to make leveling of alts incredibly hard or tedious. XP and stat boosts like heirlooms should still exist for people who have gone through the content several times over and just want a small boost. But the power of the boosts that exist now is absolutely ridiculous, to the point where fully heirloomed players just one-shot 90% of mobs and absolutely mow down dungeon mobs. That should be toned down a little bit.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#501 - May 13, 2016, 4:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've extended the cap on this thread.