Legion Transmog? Current Issue

#1 - Jan. 12, 2016, 10:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am stockpiling gear that I can't use because I am unsure whether or not I will have sellers remorse when Legion drops.

Am I right in assuming that gear you pick up will only be unlocked account-wide if you can actually equip it? If so, what about cloth if I'm a rogue?

EDIT: To summarize what's been stated in the (currently) 25 pages of thread posts...
  • Armor appearances only unlock if they're appropriate for your class upon acquisition.
  • Appearances unlock account-wide, but they are still subject to the same class restrictions as the original armor.
  • Quest rewards... old, new, and completed pre-Legion... will have ALL of the possible choices unlocked as appearances, and are subject to the same restrictions stated above.What hasn't been made clear... yet.
  • What's going to happen with all the gear being grandfathered into different armor types by the changes in armor specialization changes coming in Legion for characters using mail with strength, and pre-40 leather gear for Hunters.
  • Whether or not weapon types that are not "class appropriate" but still equipable will have their appearances unlocked alongside armor.
  • What will happen with gear that is no longer obtainable.
  • Who is John Galt?
  • Challenge-mode armor sets.
  • Forum Avatar
    Community Manager
    #8 - Jan. 13, 2016, 12:17 a.m.
    Blizzard Post
    Yes, that would be correct. There are various restrictions, and it generally falls along the lines of:

• You must be able to equip the armor
    • It must be of your primary armor type
    • It must be able to be obtained and equipped by your class

So, using your example, a Rogue would not unlock cloth gear they loot, as cloth is not their primary armor type.

A Mage would not unlock account-wide styles for any looted Warlock-specific armor, even though they both primarily wear cloth, as the Mage cannot equip Warlock-specific armor.