Class Fantasy vs Spec Uniqueness

#1 - Nov. 9, 2015, 11:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The class design overviews are nice. It's great to be reading where Blizzard's mindset is and to see what the team is focused on.

While the team is working on class fantasy I would also ask that they consider what makes the specs unique from each other and reconsider additional roles.

The mage overview today left me bewildered. The specs are largely where they should be fantasy wise but overall they're still just 3 different ways to shoot 3 different balls of magic.

Is there nothing else in the Warcraft Universe that follows a class fantasy but still offers variety to someone who plays a mage? Are there not Battlemages in Warcraft? Doesn't Chromie heal wounds using time magic during the Legendary questline?

Will the Outlaw really be a spec that feels like a new playstyle for rogues? Or will it be stabbing things in a different fashion?

I'm writing this because when I heard that Survival Hunters were being made melee in an effort to make them stand out from the other specs I honestly thought the rest of the classes would be given a hard look too.

For me personally the pure dps classes are a huge turn off because their specializations don't feel very special. They're performing the exact same function with a handful of different buttons. That's boring.

Maybe next expansion during the next round of class fantasy/tuning/pruning/tweaks the focus can be variety.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#21 - Nov. 10, 2015, 12:36 a.m.
Blizzard Post
When we're talking about the class fantasy, we're also looking at what sets the specs apart within that fantasy as well. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - Nov. 10, 2015, 12:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2015 04:41 PMPosted by Sunday
Thanks Neth.

I suppose my wording is poor buy I think a new role would set a spec apart more than a different rotation.

But like I said I recognize that some people are more comfortable in their exclusively dps roles

From what I know/and the developers have said, there will be lots of options to choose from that should help make you feel that your spec is unique from the others. I'd suggest reading the Overview (if you haven't) for perspective on the developer's thoughts.