On Inactivity and Freeing Names

#1 - Oct. 19, 2015, 10:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
(As suggested by Lokran on Argent Dawn.)

Recently it was decided that GMs can no longer unlock names for people and names will instead unlock once an account has been inactive for two expansions.

Problem is that people tend to check back in once every expansion, so most names will -never- be unlocked. Countless names are held by unused level 1 alts who can't be dislodged. Often, as many as a third of all characters who hold a popular name are throwaway alts, and often the owner doesn't even realise that they have the name and that others want it.

I would suggest reducing the required account inactivity to 12 months, down from 2 expansions. If that's too severe, it could be made a feature on the website: Enter a name, and if it's been inactive for 12 months, it's unlocked for you without requiring a GM's time.

This is particularly in the case of low levels. If you want to return to your prized main, that is fine, I can get that. But low level alts, less so.

This is a frustration I encountered myself some time ago when I found a name I really wanted, but it was held by such a level 1 alt, and despite my best attempts (made a forum thread, searched in-game and around my friends, even made a ticket) it seems impossible to dislodge the name or even find its actual owner - of course, assuming the owner has not been unsubbed for years! (And gets to keep the name anyway. :/ )
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#81 - Oct. 27, 2015, 11:56 a.m.
Blizzard Post
In general names are taken in WoW on a "first come, first served" basis. We do realise that having the name of your dreams taken by an inactive character can be a pretty disheartening experience, particularly in cases where you may be moving from one realm to another.

World of Warcraft has a lot of different types of players, some choose to just focus on a handful of characters and work to getting them to max level and beyond, while others play a large number of characters across multiple realms but may get hardly any to max level. We have to strike a fine balance in this regard as no playstyle is any less "valid." No matter which period of inactivity we choose to go for, it will always be too long for someone, and too short for someone else. Ultimately we landed on our current policy which you can see at:

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/requesting-a-name-be-released-for-reuse

Having said that, there has been a lot of great feedback in this thread which I will be forwarding on. Thanks for taking the time to constructively share your thoughts about this matter!