Stop with the RNG loot already

#1 - Oct. 15, 2015, 9:54 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Seriously, it's not exciting. It just isn't.

It's exciting to look for an item, find it, kill the mob till it drops, and then, when you get it, knowing you have the best version, and putting that part of the game behind you. You feel like you acheived something, progressed - moved up in the world, and put something behind you. If you want us to farm the same content for a while, simply make the drop chance low, perhaps increasing the chance you get it as you kill the same boss multiple times.

The problem with all this RNG is that the chance of getting the BiS item is infinitesimally small. It basically never happens. You never feel you get the best version of an item, and the happiness of getting the item you wanted is therefore severely diminished. This is bad, and more to the point the exact opposite of the intended effect.

If you want to have multiple tiers of Mythic dungeon gear, that's fine. Just make some of them harder than others, and the hard ones can be REALLY hard. You can do this when you don't have a random queue system that puts you into a hard one with a bad group you didn't assemble or an easy one with a good group you didn't assemble.

I love the idea of the Mythic dungeon. I think it's an exciting opportunity for the game to bring back the harder tBC-ish Heroics while still being able to cater to the LFD crowd doing Heroics. Don't mar it with more of this RNG BS. It isn't fun.

Please.
This game is not Diablo 3. Don't design loot as if it is.

PS: This is of course just my opinion. I just have a strong feeling a lot share it. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you don't agree.

PPS: Bellular brings another excellent point at 3:31 in this video. http://youtu.be/Oid2RwH7dfE
Combining RNG loot with item upgrades gets you into probability theory when trying to maximise the benefits from your gear drops. Is this !@#$ for real?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#82 - Oct. 19, 2015, 9:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the constructive feedback and thoughts in this thread. At this point in time I don't have anything substantial I can contribute, but I am reading the feedback.