I'm sure the next expansion will be terrible

#1 - July 31, 2015, 12:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
EDIT: 5.6m subs. WHAT in the actual heck are they doing over there in Irvine. If this doesn't get them to start listening to us, nothing will.
Edited thread title, left the original wording of the post intact in quotes for posterity.

Why the change from speculation to outright calling it a flop without even seeing it? Simple. They can't even meet a commitment to flying within two months. This eliminates my optimism about a "recent change" in Blizzard I may have had. Without that, I see absolutely nothing to justify anything but a purely negative outlook. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. NEVER AGAIN. I feel like a complete tool for believing them now.

I cannot trust a word they say now, and may never be able to again. Fool me once and all that. So even if the expansion looks better than Wrath somehow, I'll still assume everything will be cut like in WoD and expect it to be terrible.

I'm honestly just so sick of the saying one thing and dong another. I don't care what their justification for it is anymore, because in my view there isn't any.

Now let me make one thing abundantly clear before I begin. I would be thrilled to be totally wrong and for the next expansion to be completely jaw-dropping amazing, like the WoD questing experience only with an equally good endgame, but I have good reasons for expecting a flop.

My concerns all boil down to the climate in which this expansion was originally formulated being terrible. By "climate" I mean the decisions being made by Blizzard at the time for WoD. Essentially while this expac was in very early development, we were at a point where the devs and the players were almost completely in opposition on things like flying, PvP and our idea of "end-game" content.

What this means is that the next expansion was likely designed for NO FLYING EVER, or at best tacked on as an afterthought. I'm sure that has been reverted, but the damage may have already been done in terms of the general feel of the new zones. They will likely not look as good from the air as they would have if the expac had been formulated with full flight in mind from the start.

It would also have been designed under the presumption that garrisons were even so much as a decent model for "end-game" content. Now I'm not saying they would ever make a return, Blizz has stated garrisons are not going to carry over into this new expansion. The concern is certain mechanics, like boring 1-button for loot minigames that are totally not interactive, may make some sort of appearance in place of REAL interactive content. Garrisons and their lack of engagement killed this expansion more than anything else IMO, so I'm understandably worried if anything that even looks like a mission table should be in this next expansion.
EDIT: I found an interview with Watcher from Jan 22nd which pretty much confirms my fears about that last point about non-interactive content being considered "good" during the design process of this expac.

"As we think into expansions beyond WOD, I think in many ways the Garrison as an entity is very much a product of Draenor. But I think the gameplay, offline progression, having a sense of ownership and a place to call home, having followers to do your work and send out into the world in service of your cause, I think those are potential more universal things that even if there aren’t 1:1 of those terms or systems, the concepts and the type of gameplay has been embraced and so we think it’s clearly a great part of World of Warcraft."

I'm not into PvP, so I will only touch on this briefly. My concern here is that the new expac was designed while they were still forcing Ashran on us. They have since reverted this philosophy under great duress, but it was what they were operating under while formulating the new expansion.

TLDR: The new expansion had it's groundwork laid while the devs were doing pretty much everything wrong, at a time when REVERTS were the most celebrated form of "new content" and as such, I'm setting the bar very low for expectations, with the hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

This is all obviously 100% speculation. I have seen some change in Blizzard in recent months, so here's hoping this trend can translate into a better expansion. We'll see.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#29 - July 31, 2015, 3:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There's something to be said for healthy skepticism. It helps you maintain a firm grounding in what your expectations are for something. It also leaves room for you to be pleasantly (hopefully) surprised. We'll do what we can to continue to share information, insights, relay feedback, and be here for you to share your thoughts with. That isn't changing.

As to Bashiok leaving, I know many will try to interject meaning into it, but sometimes, change is just change and nothing more.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#41 - July 31, 2015, 4:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/31/2015 09:06 AMPosted by Nebulae

You probably won't respond but are blues even privy to the info of the next expansion?

We are indeed. We just can't talk about it yet. All things in their time, my friend. All things in their time. I liken it to knowing what a friend has gotten another friend as a gift. Until the friend with the gift is ready to share the gift with the other friend, it's not my place to spill the beans. Otherwise, you ruin the joy of the gift giver. It's a simple analogy, but it holds up just the same. The developers work very hard to put together the content and systems that go into the game. It's my job to make sure that I share what they want me to share when they are ready for me to share it. No sooner than then.

Thanks for chiming in Nethaera. As always your input is appreciated. I know you're very busy, but these forums need more of your tact, wisdom and cheerful disposition. :)

Thanks, I do what I can when I can. I definitely have a very large "to do" list and it's just gotten a bit larger. ;) I'll manage though.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#45 - July 31, 2015, 4:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/31/2015 09:19 AMPosted by Kipery
07/31/2015 09:15 AMPosted by Nethaera
We are indeed. We just can't talk about it yet.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/05/23/on-the-keeping-of-secrets

So the bomb is still saying no?

Exactly. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#52 - July 31, 2015, 4:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/31/2015 09:24 AMPosted by Weirwood
07/31/2015 08:55 AMPosted by Nethaera
There's something to be said for healthy skepticism. It helps you maintain a firm grounding in what your expectations are for something. It also leaves room for you to be pleasantly (hopefully) surprised. We'll do what we can to continue to share information, insights, relay feedback, and be here for you to share your thoughts with. That isn't changing.

As to Bashiok leaving, I know many will try to interject meaning into it, but sometimes, change is just change and nothing more.

Personally I can't believe anything any developer says about the next expansion. I can only wait to see what it will actually end up becoming after it's released.

That's OK to feel that way – perfectly valid and we'll be watching to see what you think.

Just one request, Neth, with regard to "relay feedback." Can you guys get a checklist or something to ensure that what gets relayed as feedback is accurate?

Feedback comes from multiple directions: what people say on the forums, what they say on fansites or in the media, what they say in game, and importantly what they DO in game. It all gets watched and reported on via multiple channels, we watch, customer service watches, the developers watch, etc. There are multiple reports that go out as well. One of which we ourselves do every week from every region (from the community management end). Plus, there are constant discussions via email and in person. So, no one "checklist" would ever convey the plethora of information and feedback that flows like a giant tidal pool –there are undercurrents of undercurrents that occur. We do what we can though to keep on top of it all. Keep in mind too, sometimes the answer is, "we agree" and sometimes it's "we disagree" due to design goals and whether agreeing fits or doesn't fit into that. In the end, we are also passionate and human about what it is we do.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#62 - July 31, 2015, 4:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/31/2015 09:32 AMPosted by Nebulae
07/31/2015 09:15 AMPosted by Nethaera
We are indeed. We just can't talk about it yet. All things in their time, my friend. All things in their time. I liken it to knowing what a friend has gotten another friend as a gift. Until the friend with the gift is ready to share the gift with the other friend, it's not my place to spill the beans. Otherwise, you ruin the joy of the gift giver. It's a simple analogy, but it holds up just the same. The developers work very hard to put together the content and systems that go into the game. It's my job to make sure that I share what they want me to share when they are ready for me to share it. No sooner than then.

So in theory... if I married a blue could I become privy to that information? Or would I have to become a blue?

I tell my husband nothing. Seriously. He learns the same way everyone else does. It's more fun for me. So, yes, you'd have to become a blue.

Be honest, is it hard to hold your tongu...err fingers? When you have harsh opinions thrown your way?

Not too often. I've been doing community work for err.. uh... Look it's been a long time. Even prior to working at Blizzard. ;) I'm old school.

Please inform Zahrym that I like the way the patch notes are presented in a somewhat verbose manner.

This is actually Rygarius that puts these together and has for awhile now. ;) I'll let him and the developers (who have a hand in them) know you like them.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#67 - July 31, 2015, 4:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/31/2015 09:41 AMPosted by Drakken
07/31/2015 08:55 AMPosted by Nethaera

Can you at least say if its got many new and unexpected features?

There will be things and stuff (not necessarily in that order).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#158 - July 31, 2015, 6:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/31/2015 11:48 AMPosted by Shockslayer
07/31/2015 09:42 AMPosted by Nethaera

There will be things and stuff (not necessarily in that order).

Hi Nethaera, i'm just curious if the "things and stuff" will be revealed to us at next Thursday's event or further down the road, TY!

We will be discussing much in the way of things and stuff next Thursday, August 6. We'll have it all in a live stream right in this blog post- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19841681/
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#186 - July 31, 2015, 8 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Listening to Scott Johnson and Chris Metzen on The Instance panel at Nerdtacular right now. Seems like a eulogy for WoW, so I am not expecting much next week.

I just realized that I did not timezone properly. That said, it's not a eulogy, they are also not discussing the expansion.

The Candle... She is returned!

I never left. I handle a lot of behind the scenes items including the blog on the front page among many other things. ;)