Solution for Racials

#1 - July 8, 2015, 8:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Alliance racials are totally imbalanced. Humans and Night elves have the best racials in the game hands down. I was lucky enough to get the accolade of dominance on my mage last week and guess what. Worthless. I'm undead. There is still so much cc in the game you simply can't get by without a trinket even with a healer. A mongo block in the clutch can end up costing you the match. On my Druid it's even worse. Shadow meld is hands down the best ability for a feral or boomie. It lets you drop target and avoid a devastating cc chain or on feral you can meld for a free rake stun or vanish. War stomp is gimped because not only does it have a cast time but the stun is so short people can just spam an instant cast cc and get it off just before my clone casts. It's lame as crap.

So here is my solution. Make racials a choice that is baked into the character creation process. So whenever a player creates a new character they can choose which racial they think suits their class needs best. This makes it as fair as it can be without gutting racials from the game and no one would feel they had to play one faction over another to get a particular set of racials. You would choose which set you wanted.

Last but not least... oh you feel you picked the wrong racial? No biggie... buy a class change and simply recreate that toon again. Only costs a small amount of money and blizz makes $$. Everyone wins.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - July 9, 2015, 12:24 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So, we agree that Every Man For Himself is a problem. It's one that we want to fix. It's also a more complicated issue to solve than it may initially seem. We want to reduce the effectiveness of the Human racial, but we don't want to leave Humans with a useless racial either.

With Patch 6.2, we reduced the effectiveness of on-use trinkets which, in turn, reduced the relative strength of having two throughput trinkets equipped. Today, we’ve just pushed a hotfix that increases the raw stats on the Medallion trinkets (e.g. Versatility, Crit, Stamina, or Spirit) by 50%.

Our intent with both of these changes is to still allow Humans to benefit from equipping two throughput trinkets, but reduce how much of a benefit that is when compared to equipping a Medallion enough that other racial abilities feel more competitive. We'd love to hear how this change is working out once you've had a chance to play with it a little.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#54 - July 9, 2015, 12:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Re: "Why not just get rid of racials entirely?"

We like racials. It's cool that there's a subtle difference for, say, a Rogue who chooses Orc instead of Undead, or a Priest who picks Night Elf instead of Dwarf. It makes each race feel different in a way that isn't just cosmetic. It's only a problem when one is so much better than the others that you feel stupid for playing anything else.

Realistically, sure, there will probably always be a "best" race -- just like there will probably always be a "best" healer, or "best" comp, etc. That's to be expected. We just want things to be close enough that there's some room for difference of opinion on what exactly the "best" option is.

Looking through this thread and some responses on Twitter, I'm already seeing some people saying "Humans are still the best" and some people saying "Humans are worthless now." That's a good thing, I think. It means the difference is small enough that there's a discussion to be had.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#237 - July 9, 2015, 6:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Quick followup: we've got a hotfix in the works to correct the bug where the Alliance Conquest vendors aren't selling the Adaptation (Versatility) Medallion, and the Horde Conquest vendors aren't selling the Cruelty (Critical Strike) Medallion. The hotfix is still in testing, but our goal is to get that out today.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#254 - July 9, 2015, 6:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/09/2015 11:41 AMPosted by Smackdown
so now that EMFH has been addressed, the ladders will fill with horde players, right?

and massive numbers of alliance will go horde, right?

and queue times for ashran will drop below an hour, right?

As I've said before, we don't think improving racial balance will suddenly prompt a ton of Alliance players to transfer to Horde. We don't really expect this change to have a huge effect on Alliance queue times, which is fine, because that's not why we made it. We're looking into other options to help that issue.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#258 - July 9, 2015, 7:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/09/2015 12:01 PMPosted by Animamundi
So, why not disable racials in PvP?

07/08/2015 05:57 PMPosted by Lore
We like racials. It's cool that there's a subtle difference for, say, a Rogue who chooses Orc instead of Undead, or a Priest who picks Night Elf instead of Dwarf. It makes each race feel different in a way that isn't just cosmetic. It's only a problem when one is so much better than the others that you feel stupid for playing anything else.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#275 - July 9, 2015, 7:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/09/2015 11:17 AMPosted by Lore
Quick followup: we've got a hotfix in the works to correct the bug where the Alliance Conquest vendors aren't selling the Adaptation (Versatility) Medallion, and the Horde Conquest vendors aren't selling the Cruelty (Critical Strike) Medallion. The hotfix is still in testing, but our goal is to get that out today.

Looks like this hotfix is rolling out now. These trinkets should be available on all realms shortly (if they're not already).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#299 - July 9, 2015, 9:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/09/2015 01:15 PMPosted by Dillaryhuff
Will Blizzard be offering free faction transfers in an attempt to balance the factions?

I'll bring it up. It's worth noting that we've done that before and it really wasn't very effective. I think most people look at free transfers as something other people will do. "Once free transfers open, everyone else will leave and I, my guild, and my friends will be fine right here."

I don't get to make these sorts of decisions, so don't take this as anything more than me asking way more important people what they think. But I'll bring it up.