Ad-free launcher = goodbye Baj

#1 - May 5, 2015, 3:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The launcher is free from self-promoting YouTubers / Twitchers.

Blizzard took down that awful ad in response to player complaints.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#105 - May 6, 2015, 3:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/05/2015 08:31 AMPosted by Sebac
The launcher is free from self-promoting YouTubers / Twitchers.

Blizzard took down that awful ad in response to player complaints.

It's clear what point you're trying to make, but it's based on an assumption that's false. Before it ever went live, Bajheera's video was set to cycle out of the launcher on Monday, May 4 at 10 a.m. PDT. It was always intended to be a weekend feature and I stated as much in a thread last Friday:

05/01/2015 07:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
And some weekends we might like to show what others in the community are doing. This is one of those weekends.

We also look forward to featuring more YouTube content from other members of the community in the near future. :)

Edit: To be honest I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#119 - May 6, 2015, 3:36 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/05/2015 08:19 PMPosted by Sebac
05/05/2015 08:12 PMPosted by Zarhym

Answer this:
"If Bajheera had promoted his YouTube / Twitch channel in trade chat, it would be a violation of Blizzard's ToU agreement. His launcher video was a self-promoting ad. He couldn't have done in trade chat what he did in the launcher video. None of my detractors have been able to refute this point. "

We decide what is shown on the launcher and Bajheera agreed to let us feature a video from him. It isn't very complicated.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#122 - May 6, 2015, 3:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/05/2015 08:28 PMPosted by Moargold
It's clear what point you're trying to make, but it's based on an assumption that's false. Before it ever went live, Bajheera's video was set to cycle out of the launcher on Monday, May 4 at 10 a.m. PDT. It was always intended to be a weekend feature and I stated as much in a thread last Friday:

We also look forward to featuring more YouTube content from other members of the community in the near future. :)

If I wear a funny hat and speak in an exaggerated accent while streaming WoW will you feature me?

Not based solely on that premise. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#134 - May 6, 2015, 3:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/05/2015 08:40 PMPosted by Truculentt

honest opinion - blizzard should spend less time focusing on amateur digital marketing tactics, and more time focused on how to fix the game and retain or recapture the millions of former subscribers. Because amateur sales tactics aggravate your existing players.

I think that was the point he was trying to make.

It wasn't a sales tactic, so I don't know where you're going with that. It should also be noted that the PR, Marketing, and CM teams aren't game design teams. Of course a portion of my time at work will be focused on identifying key members of the community and determining how we can better feature the WoW-related content they're creating -- an activity that requires no game development resources.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#140 - May 6, 2015, 3:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/05/2015 08:44 PMPosted by Aehl
Zarhym, had the idea of a random player interview ever been bounced around?

One older game I played used to have a "player meet and greet", sort of , with a brief interview and a chat why they play, what they find fun etc....streamers are fun of course, maybe pick a player randomly from a raid guild or raid team and just do a quick five minute profile?

"Greetings from Stormwind" or some such?

I mention this because one of the biggest eye openers was back at the Aussie server announcement, some of the venue staff had their preconceptions "challenged" and remarked to me that he was amazed at the diverse nature of WOW players "They arent what I was expecting to see"

I just smiled and replied "All walks of life in one package".

Gamers have this "image issue" with people who dont game, and it's kinda fun to put names and faces to online nicknames.

What say you?

That's something we can certainly discuss. Thanks for the input! :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#146 - May 6, 2015, 4:05 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/05/2015 09:01 PMPosted by Shrew
05/05/2015 08:44 PMPosted by Aehl
Zarhym, had the idea of a random player interview ever been bounced around?

I was watching Lore stream one night.

I said, "Hey, Lore. Sup"

He said, "Not much, leveling." And then he kept playing. And his cat laid on the desk.

This forum wildly over estimates what Twitch is about.

lol