Low skill cap excludes low rank players.

#1 - April 27, 2015, 5:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The current state of the game also makes it very difficult for new players to reach higher ratings due to the current skill cap. Let's say for example you start a new account. The skill cap has been lowered so much by passive/reactive abilities such as flameglow that any single person cannot advance a teams rating at an acceptable rate. You could have a gladiator on a 3s team with (2) other 1500 players and you wouldn't be able to get past 1650 this expansion. I know because I'm a Cataclysm gladiator and I've attempted it with friends. The only way to achieve high ratings as a good player is to play with other good players. However, you will never be able to improve your rating achievements unless your entire team gets better together. This drastically lowers the motivation to play with people you enjoy playing with in game because they aren't skilled. Your ability to play matters so much less now than ever before. If the skill cap was raised again by removing reactive/passive abilities it would actually open doors to play with people of a much larger rating gap because it would still be rewarding to play with people who aren't "gladiator material."

Blizzard, if you want to know more I suggest you speak with Cdew, Jahmilli, Xaryu or other highly skilled streamers. People who actually have real experience with this game and understand why it is heading in a direction toward destruction. These players along with many other rank 1 players have expressed similar concerns. Do something about it before you lose more subscriptions.

Edit:
TL;DR:

Lowering the skill cap actually deters good players from playing with lower rated players.

Raising the skill cap motivates higher rated players to play with a larger player base (low or high rated players).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#21 - April 27, 2015, 11:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/26/2015 10:39 PMPosted by Smilezsham
The only way to achieve high ratings as a good player is to play with other good players. However, you will never be able to improve your rating achievements unless your entire team gets better together.

I'm having a hard time seeing how that's a bad thing. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like you're saying that one good player should be able to carry two bad players to top ratings. If that's the case, we just don't agree.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - April 27, 2015, 11:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/27/2015 04:24 PMPosted by Smilezsham
1. You're completely missing the point that lowering the skill cap actually deters high rated players from playing with low rated players because of that reason.

Yeah, this is the part of your post I don't get. I'm not seeing why you think that's the case. If the game is made easier for low-rated players, wouldn't that just mean the one highly-skilled player on the team has less work to do?

2. It's a bad thing when really great players can outplay the other team hard and NOT be rewarded for that outplay.

Agreed. I just don't think that that reward needs to be "able to win regardless of what my teammates are doing."

3. It's MUCH harder to climb the ladder unless you play with high ranked players.

It is much easier to earn high rating if you play with highly-skilled players, yes. Again, I'm not seeing the problem.