Is anyone going to use the twitter feature?

#1 - Jan. 26, 2015, 5:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'd hate myself forever if I ever used this feature. It's the worst idea Blizzard has ever had. Just curious if anyone is excited about this....(and if you are, I'd find it hard to ever respect you).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#319 - Feb. 5, 2015, 7:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The @Warcraft account has around 660,000 followers, so there's at least a good chunk of people that are interested in using Twitter to talk about WoW, games, and see updates from us--usually on a mobile device.

02/05/2015 10:11 AMPosted by Echões
That's the problem. Resources had to be allocated to the twitter implementation. While those people aren't the ones who fix issues... they could be. Because Lord knows we need more people on that team.

I don't know if it's particularly constructive to dissect resource allocation. Everyone playing would like for us to focus on the exact things that they would like to see us focus on, and generally believe everyone else playing is like them and wants the same things. Not because of anything malicious or ill informed, but because we (humans) like surrounding ourselves with people like us, and also because of cognitive influences like false consensus and superiority biases. It takes a lot of effort to recognize that other humans are as valid as we are ourselves, and understand those differences have merit, because our brain is wired for self preservation. It's far easier to see someone or something they do, not like it for whatever reason, and label them as inferior in our minds, which in-turn makes us feel better about ourselves and our own choices and beliefs. Yay! Tolerance (or even crazier: understanding and acceptance) takes a lot of effort, and it calls a lot of our own thoughts and beliefs into question. Couple that with the previous superiority bias and that's unlikely to happen anytime soon. Brains are weird.

Anyway, back to WoW, there's a lot of content in the game--enough that people can focus in on one or a few activities and get a lot of gameplay out of them. People that only collect mounts might very well be unhappy that we're spending art resources on anything but making more mounts. Or people that progression raid might very well be unhappy that we spend any time on creating leveling content and quests (we hear this quite a bit). It's a big game, there's a lot to it, and ultimately we decide where to put resources to develop features and content we believe people will enjoy. Everyone is free to dislike and disagree with what we're doing, but I think it's always helpful to remember that it's a big game, there are lots of other people playing, and sometimes features or content won't be something you enjoy.

But who knows, maybe the Twitter integration will be a huge failure, no one will use it, and we'll move on with our lives and not support it any further. We think it'll be pretty cool though for those that do like using Twitter. But if that's not you then that's okay.