Twitter Integration in WoW? (6.1 Patch)

#1 - Jan. 10, 2015, 3:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
--BASHIOK HAS ISSUED A RESPONSE--

Read his post,
It seems that it will not be intrusive or distracting from the game.
I am very pleased with Bashiok's response, I appreciate this issue being addressed.
It's good to see that Blizzard is still a noble company and not completely throwing us under the bus with the whole "viral mobile promotion".
We should all still be vigilant because although Blizzard is a wonderful company run by mostly great developers there is always people that will try to lead the company and it's game astray.

Feel free to still read my rant below:

I was a bit worried when Garrisons seemed EXACTLY like farmville, but this is a step too far.

This is JUST like a freemium mobile crap game.

Every time I make an alt and put on a tabard I don't want to be "reminded" to tweet that "Oh I just got "Represent" acheivement! #Warlords"

Blizzard, seriously. This may give you a way to market your game for free but YOU DONT NEED TO MARKET IT IF ITS A GOOD GAME. If you have a solid product then you don't need all these gimmicky ways to get people interested in the game.

Don't implement this. It's completely unnecessary.

Think about it this way, if you want to tweet about WoW then you will take 4 seconds to tab out and open twitter in your browser and tweet about it.

People are already doing this! Want to attach a screeshot? Open your screenshot folder and drag and drop the image into Twitter for an easy upload.

What worries me is that you will down a boss or get an achievement and it will pop up "Want to share this with your friends?".

Or "Tweet about #Warlords to win a free battlepet! A blue Pepe!"
Or "Tweet your favorite character for 100 free garrison resources!"

(edited to make it less ranty and more concise. I got inspiration from some later posts in the thread on ideas that I hadn't even considered.)

Edit 2: As some people have pointed out this has the potential to completely backfire. There are PLENTY of "trolls" (Im being generous calling them that) that will abuse this feature completely. You are just encouraging them.

Not going to list examples because there are some pretty brilliant ones below.

Edit 3: My post was un-capitalized because all caps posts are not allowed, didn't realize this was a rule so I un-capitalized it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#292 - Jan. 10, 2015, 11:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The implementation is really slick and out of the way. If you're using Twitter it helps you share things with an in-game UI you can choose to bring up. If you don't use Twitter just don't attach a Twitter account and I don't think you'll see anything related to it. The goal isn't to start socializing everything, it's really just to make it more convenient for people that already are sharing their gameplay. If you know anything about our UI and philosophy on simplicity I think you'll have a good idea of how subdued the implementation is, but it could get fun as Addons hook in and interact with it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#310 - Jan. 10, 2015, 11:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/10/2015 03:48 PMPosted by Daunted
Two questions: Can you supply a screenshot of the feature (in what I assume is a pop-up window) and a screenshot of the UI WITHOUT the pop-up. Like, at a time where it won't be triggered.

I cannot as I am at home and don't have access to an internal test client. To answer what I think is your question though, the ways you bring up the UI are by typing /twitter (I believe that's correct) or by clicking a small "w)))" icon that's next to existing UI elements. There's no minimap button or popup telling you to Tweet about things.

01/10/2015 03:48 PMPosted by Daunted
Secondly, did you un-capitalize my post? I was writing in another thread and came back and the post had been retype with no caps and you had posted in it..
Seemed a bit fishy.

I did! As a thread in all-caps is a violation of the forum code of conduct I went ahead and edited it instead of deleting it as I thought there was some value to the discussion.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#314 - Jan. 10, 2015, 11:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/10/2015 03:58 PMPosted by Jentai
You're gonna get trolled, HC, jus sayin. Take a look at the past of what other companies that tried to do this, and within hours have pulled it.

It doesn't allow any functionality that is not already possible through Twitter itself. How so?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#334 - Jan. 11, 2015, 12:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/10/2015 04:07 PMPosted by Kelyana
.... , but it could get fun as Addons hook in and interact with it.

And that is why I won't be using this feature at all. Having Addons 'hook in' on a feature that is tied to my twitter account is not one I would trust. Too much chance of Addons starting to spam up my twitter feed with their own 'subtle' or not so subtle advertising.

An addon cannot tweet something for you; you have to hit the button.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#335 - Jan. 11, 2015, 12:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/10/2015 04:09 PMPosted by Pril
Just don't make it gate content, like, if I want a level 4 Barracks, I'll need to tweet "I got the "I Farted On an Orc In Nagrand" achievement!" to get it.

That is a pretty cool achievement, though.