Level 3 Barn Trapping proposal (group play)

#1 - Jan. 9, 2015, 1:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hunting Party: For each person in group (beyond 1), who has a level 3 barn, gain an additional caged animal. Cannot exceed more than 5 additional animals per trap.

That is my proposal to promote grouping for trapping, and fit within the flavor of the building. It limits opportunity for abuse by 1: requiring players to have a level 3 barn to contribute/benefit, and 2: does not allow for raid group farming. Only people in the group with the cager count towards this. It could also be set that only one trap can affect the beast so you are not getting 25 cages per 5 man group. It makes trapping in groups easier so you don’t have to fish for the sweet spot after someone initially traps.

Since folks can get animals faster, they will be less likely to stay in the area farming for extended periods of time. No, there is nothing to prevent them from camping out to collect 100’s of animals, but if they do, they will be less likely to be crowding this area again anytime soon after the camp session, so end result is still less crowding.

There is not much you can do about folks who still want to kill your animal before you can cage it. Making it immune to damage from outside sources to the taggers causes other issues, so if you run into those kind of griefers, you just need to deal with them as folks have in the past (insert your chosen method here).

Anyhow, that is my 2 cents. Thoughts?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#5 - Jan. 9, 2015, 7:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/09/2015 05:56 AMPosted by Nitzi
Hunting Party: For each person in group (beyond 1), who has a level 3 barn, gain an additional caged animal. Cannot exceed more than 5 additional animals per trap.

We're actually in the process of trying change the trapping mechanics to do just that. There is hotfix that's in early testing so there's no ETA yet. The hotfix will allow a single trap to award a caged beast for each nearby party member with an appropriate level barn.

For thoroughness, here are my previous posts with regards to the barn and trapping mechanic.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15701393585?page=22#435
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#8 - Jan. 9, 2015, 8:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/09/2015 11:58 AMPosted by Lance
01/09/2015 11:53 AMPosted by Rygarius

We're actually in the process of trying change the trapping mechanics to do just that. There is hotfix that's in early testing so there's no ETA yet. The hotfix will allow a single trap to award a caged beast for each nearby party member with an appropriate level barn.

For thoroughness, here are my previous posts with regards to the barn and trapping mechanic.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15701393585?page=22#435

oh WOW. I just can't wait until realm restart!

The hotfix for this change is still in early testing. It's the hotfixes to greatly increase the population and spawn rates for elite creatures that requires a scheduled realm restart.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#17 - Jan. 9, 2015, 9:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/09/2015 01:02 PMPosted by Ashlí
So long as this doesn't screw over the solo elite trapper...this sounds good. But if people trapping beasts themselves find it impossible to tag mobs because there are 30 people in groups tagging everything in sight this will not go over well... It is great that you want to encourage grouping but not at the expense of the solo player ("solo" apexis crystal dailies I'm looking at you.)

Once it's implemented, increase to the spawn rate and greatly increasing the number of spawn points for elite creatures should address that. As always, we'll monitor and make additional changes if it becomes necessary.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#57 - Jan. 9, 2015, 11:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The hotfix allowing a single trap to award a caged beast for each nearby party member with an appropriate level barn has completed testing. This change requires a realm restart and is now slated to go in with the other two hotfixes that'll increase the spawn rates of elite creatures.

01/09/2015 01:44 PMPosted by Melaroi
Remember folks, a well executed 3 man group can actually get six caged animals from a single beast RIGHT NOW.

It's just extremely inconsistent because you have to stack facing the exact same bearing, drop traps at the exact same time, wait for them to arm then drag the beast over it. Then if you know the sweet spot you can drop a second trap dead centre of the hit box and get a second caged animal from the first one you trapped.

That's what we're looking to address. Not everyone knows that you can stack traps, and when they did placement atop each other wasn't intuitive. Worse, if someone gets the placement wrong they miss out. This change is intended to promote small group play where elite creatures can continue to pose a meaningful challenge without having it turn into a zergfest. Additionally, players will have to worry less about whether their traps are stacked correctly.

01/09/2015 01:44 PMPosted by Melaroi
What this does is make it so that you don't have to go through the trouble of stacking the traps correctly. It may fix the ability to get two cages from the same beast too, we don't know yet. But I would guess that was an unintended side-effect of them changing the trap cooldown to 15s from 30s.

That was indeed an unintended effect of reducing trap cooldowns. The change will also eliminate trapping the exact same creature twice which wasn't an intended behavior.

01/09/2015 01:51 PMPosted by Tressym
My guess is that anyone who needs the savage bloods already has at least one level 3 barn that never stops processing orders. I have three barns at the moment and all three never stop producing. This fix will not in any way effect the number of bloods I get. Unless they also plan to reduce the time it takes to process orders.

The intent was to make the caged elite creatures more available on the work order supply side. As you've astutely pointed out, there's been no change to the time it takes for a work order to complete. We'll monitor the change and make further adjustments if the availability of elite creatures continues to be a problem.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#59 - Jan. 9, 2015, 11:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/09/2015 03:32 PMPosted by Raelyssa
01/09/2015 11:53 AMPosted by Rygarius

Any plans to prevent groups from monopolizing entire spawn areas?

Because you know that's going to happen and zone disruption is a thing.

Once the hotfixes have been implemented, it'll greatly increase the availability of elite creatures and that shouldn't be an issue.