DK's don't really *feel* like DK's anymore...

#1 - Jan. 9, 2015, 12:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
...And I'm honestly not sure why.

Having Darion Mograine show up in Lunarfall Inn was a nice touch, but for some reason, Death Knights just feel totally devoid of any sort of "flavor" they once possessed. I think a lot of it is because there are no connections to the Scourge anymore, plus we never really got any closure regarding Thassarian and Koltira's story, who are really the only living embodiments of our Class anymore (only a few Followers have any sort of Lore, and the Dwarf follower you start with even openly refers to himself as a Warrior).

Personally, on that front, I really dig the idea of resurrecting Admiral Taylor, for Alliance Death Knights. For Horde Death Knights, perhaps you could make Crok Scourgebane a more central character, seeking to become the new Chieftain of the Shadowmoon Clan? That way, both characters are still totally relevant to WoD, but it sheds a little more light on the Class.

Now, honestly? I've not been super crazy about many of the Armor-sets since Wrath of the Lich King. I actually really dug the (Heroic) T11 set, just for being different, and the T14 set was really well done, too. I think the new Mythic T17 looks pretty slick. So... three sets over the course of four years, that seem to actually look like "Death Knight armor"? Most of the rest have more generic designs, with the Normal/Heroic T17 looking about as impressive as green quest-rewards. I'm being overly nit-picky here, but I'm just trying to offer the most honest feedback I can go with.

I would personally *REALLY* dig a set based on Lordaeron's "Royal Guards", seen ever-so-briefly in some of the Warcraft III cinematics (or perhaps they were politicians? my memory isn't great), but showing signs of age. An ankh that is cracked or tarnished, a belt-tabard with Lordaeron's sigil, but now worn and tattered... stuff like that. You know, just because YOUR Death Knight SPECIFICALLY didn't start in Lordaeron, doesn't mean it's irrelevant to the Class itself -- and that's what I'd like to see more of.

I mean, in hindsight, there are a lot of things I'd have suggested be done differently (Race-selection would've been a big one), but moving forward, I'm honestly not sure what the best route to take the Death Knight is. Aside from Soul Reaper, which is a horribly bloated novelty ability, they Class still *plays* fine, but there's just "something" I can't quite nail down, that feels... "different", than they used to be in Wrath.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#15 - Jan. 9, 2015, 12:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/08/2015 04:26 PMPosted by Maldazzar
Now, honestly? I've not been super crazy about many of the Armor-sets since Wrath of the Lich King.

I'm really interested to see how people react to T18. To me it's kind of a big change in direction. Our focus for quite a while has been to look at the bosses and materials of a raid environment, or iconic expansion imagery, and play off those. It's going to be a big departure, where the artists are taking a step back and really looking at the classes themselves, and looking at more classical fantasy materials--as well as just pushing the detail and quality level. I think it's kind of a cool new direction, even though it's almost like going back to a more classic look.