Seriously, Follower Missions are not Awesome.

#1 - Dec. 1, 2014, 9:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Why are these a thing? I try not to complain too much, but how is this engaging game play? It's not even a game. It's just a menu, I pick an icon, drag it to a slot, and stuff happens later. I get that there is loot to be had from this process but it's all so senseless. You don't do anything...I know, "it takes all kinds" but this part of the game isn't a game...

Who play tested this and thought, "Well this is fun!!??" When that treasure chest took 10 seconds to open and I got 30 gold my heart went a flutter! Now, mind you if a nice piece of loot came out of that chest I'd be happy, but no more than if I was just walking around the world and I picked it up off the ground. I take that back, I'd be more happy if I just found it in the world because then I would actually be out in the word doing something...anything at all. I've clicked through websites that brought me more enjoyment than processing a follower mission.

I challenge you forum people, tell me, tell me about the awesomeness that is follower missions. Change my mind, because as it stands now I'm at a loss as to how this feature made it into this game.

EDIT:

I'm just going to add that I am speaking for myself and I value your alternate opinion. We are all aware that people like different things. You must though, understand that most of the people that play this game will like and / or do pretty much anything that gives them loot (myself included). With all the beautiful scenery, the painstakingly modeled occupants, the time taken, stories written to immerse me in a virtual world; does it not seem just a little bit odd to click through some menus and have loot drop out?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#30 - Dec. 1, 2014, 9:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/01/2014 01:44 PMPosted by Easypie
They're the best thing that happened to wow

Hah! And so, with that, I think we can see there are a wide range of tastes of people playing the game, there is a wide range of content to appeal to many different tastes, and a lot of the time you can pick and choose what you enjoy, and focus on that. That said we do look at the game as a holistic experience and hope that most people will want to try everything at least a little, but if they don't, that's usually just fine.

I think the aspect of Followers and Missions you're probably not exploring to its full extent is how to best use them, upgrade them, and create more gameplay in what followers you have, their abilities, and maxing out their capabilities through intelligent decisions. Of course it's not combat out in the world, but it is a game of its own. If that just doesn't sound like fun gameplay for you, though, no problem.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#45 - Dec. 1, 2014, 10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/01/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Constipate
Funny how you quote one of the only positive responses, from a level 72 toon at that.

Follower missions are horrible. As many have said, they are crap meant for short attention span facebook gamers. Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourselves for putting them in this (once) great game.

My quote was to highlight a counter to the subject of the thread by others who feel the opposite from you, and highlight that a lot of people play the game, a lot of people have different tastes, and we like providing content for a lot of different types of gamers. You've brought up again how your personal opinion is more valid than someone else's, and that's just not a very constructive or positive outlook to have in life.