Blizzard has killed midnight releases of WoW

#1 - Nov. 11, 2014, 1:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I love that the digital version is available, I really do.

Unfortunately as a result of this, stores don't seem willing to do midnight releases for their product as there is a smaller number of people that want the box at midnight, because many are getting the digital deluxe edition.

Sucks for those of us that like to have at least one physical box, and the goodies it contains, as we can't get them until long after the servers are live.

**EDIT**

I'll add more now that I'm not on my tablet.

Yes I'm aware that this is not entirely Blizzard's fault, but they are largely contributing to it. The one thing that is 100% their fault is them making the street date (which retailers have to follow at risk of major fines) what it is. They could easily make it the day before without ANY harm, as the information is already on people's systems LONG in advance (in this case by about a month), and it would simply be activating the Warlords license on a given account (which is exactly the same thing as happens with the digital versions now).

I have multiple accounts, and already have the digital deluxe version on one account (check my achievements). I like having the physical version because of the mouse pad, art book, sound track cd, etc. There are a lot of goodies in these that I enjoy having.

In addition, I didn't get the MoP CE because I kept being told by retailers that they only received ones that had been pre-ordered. That was disappointing, and as a result I don't have a MoP physical box (still sad about that).

One easy way for Blizzard to keep us happy would be to offer within the Blizzard store a physical box as well, with it activating in advance on our account (the same way the digital version does). I don't even care if it costs more. I want the damn box.

And yea, it is a #firstworldproblem.

Also it should be noted, I'm NOT complaining that there is a digital version available, or that blizzard is selling a digital version. I don't want blizzard to stop selling the digital versions; that very notion is absurd.

I just don't want to feel like I'm being left out in the cold because I like having a physical box, which has NOTHING to do with having the physical media, and EVERYTHING to do with the other stuff you get in the box that you don't get with the digital copies.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#100 - Nov. 11, 2014, 5:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We are holding a midnight signing event at a local Gamestop near us here in Irvine, and if anyone is around I definitely encourage you to come down, pick up a copy, and get your game box or game memorabilia signed. More info on that here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/16658020/warlords-of-draenor-irvine-signing-event-11-10-2014

Obviously that’s just not an option for most of you, but I thought it’d be a good time to plug it again. ;D As far as midnight releases go, from what I understand they tend to be determined on a store-by-store basis based on preorders. As you said, with the proliferation of digital downloads, especially now with the Digital Deluxe edition for World of Warcraft, and especially because WoW is an online game (and people have reasonably fast internet connections these days), it’s going to have some impact on physical game sales.

And, just in case it's an issue with buying it digitally directly from us, you can also start playing at Midnight if you purchase a digital copy of the standard or Digital Deluxe editions at GameStop before they close on Wednesday night.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#118 - Nov. 11, 2014, 5:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/11/2014 09:26 AMPosted by Bovineform
Hastings is saying they wont be selling CE's until the 25th, their website does not even list them. They are doing, for my area at least, a midnight launch for the standard copies but won't be selling CE's till the 25th. I double check by asking my friend who works there to look into it and their systems are saying the 25th for the CE and the 13th for the standard edition. She said she would ask her boss to find out more, she is a WoW player as well, but as it stands it looks like they wont be selling CE's on launch? Do you know anything about this or why they would be staggering their CE's? Can hastings even do that? Can they stagger releases like that?

Our VP of Global Sales is looking into this. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#155 - Nov. 11, 2014, 7:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/11/2014 09:35 AMPosted by Bladedlace
I lost interest in releases when Blizzard decided to release them at 3AM. There is no sane reason for a midnight PST release, forcing the rest of the country - if they want to participate at launch - to stay up to ungodly hours in the midst of a work week.

I don't know if this is accurate at all or not, but I always just assumed it was a decision based on intelligent server engineer load balancing. Fewer people staying up to play right at launch means more time to fix any issues before the vast majority of people run into it. Midnight EST means 9pm on PST, which would mean, like, approximately infinitely more people playing right at launch. *shrug* Seems like a good reason, anyway.

11/11/2014 09:50 AMPosted by Bovineform
Thank you, oh glorious tree! May your roots grow deep and you eyes glow bright and green for all time!

But seriously, thank you.

Following back, they will have CE's on the 13th and their website will be updated to reflect that.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#179 - Nov. 11, 2014, 8:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Oh, also meant to add, as others have pointed out there are retailers that are just open 24/7--and by that fact--will likely have copies available at midnight, if you're so inclined.