Can We Get Rid Of MvP Tagging?

#1 - Oct. 14, 2014, 5:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Yeah, I'm just not feeling this one.

It's not their fault. MvPs draw heat in much the same way a blue does though, admittedly, to a lesser extent. When one posts, you'll get people attacking them for the sake of attacking them. You'll get people agreeing with them for the sake of agreeing with them. Inevitably, the thread gets derailed.

By giving threads an MVP tag whenever they post, you've taken the issue and amplified it by 10 fold. Now the "green haters" and "fanboys" don't even have to just randomly bump into a post in a thread they're reading. They can actively seek these posts out at a glance on the General Forum.

Additionally, it also gives a false validation and will make it irresponsible for an MVP to post in certain threads. Before, you had to read a thread and at least be marginally interested in its content just to find an MVP post. But because your post drew an MVP comment, people who have no interest in the subject matter are going to flock to your post. Whether or not the MVP agrees or disagrees with you is immaterial: the thread is going to get an artificially inflated interest level.

Blues in the past have said they limit their responses for that very reason: it's impossible to have an organic conversation because once a blue appears, it changes the entire discussion. The same is going to be true for MVPs.

Regardless, thanks but no thanks. I know it's not a democracy, but I hope Blizzard nips this one in the bud. When you see an MVP post in the thread you're reading, you might sit up a little straighter - that's fine. That should be the extent of it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#75 - Oct. 14, 2014, 6:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The MVP tags serve a decent purpose on our Customer & Technical Support forums, though I'm not sure if it was intended for them to be applied to all forums. We're discussing it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#82 - Oct. 14, 2014, 6:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
10/14/2014 11:43 AMPosted by Noikona
10/14/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Zarhym
The MVP tags serve a decent purpose on our Customer & Technical Support forums, though I'm not sure if it was intended for them to be applied to all forums. We're discussing it.

Those of us that value MVP' repliy's are just worried that this will be abused by individuals that care nothing for their input. That is all. I have seen attacks in the past that were truly unwarranted without the tag. This new feature may cause things to be much worse.

I'm inclined to agree.