Removing Legendary questline Is A Bad Idea...

#1 - Sept. 16, 2014, 5:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Stop removing stuff from the game. If people can do old legendary questlines from yesteryear we should still be able to do this again.

Why punish players who dont subscribe every month?

Bad move Blizzard. VERY BAD.

I am still very stoked and looking forward to Warlords of Draenor. I was excited when this was announced last year and that excitement hasn''t diminished. But this change is a bad decision.
<strong/>
Legendary quest-lines shouldn't be removed arbitrarily.

Thank you, Bashiok, for explaining Blizzard's stance on this:

09/17/2014 05:38 PMPosted by Bashiok
It definitely isn't an arbitrary decision, this Legendary has been a reward for following along with the content of Mists of Pandaria. We want it to remain as a way to show you followed the content, and be a permenent recognition of your character's time and experience in this expansion. We intend to, and have plans to be, more consistent about how we treat these kinds of things going forward. I think the most concern is stemming from this seeming to be out of left field with no consistency to a ruleset for how we treat items (e.g. arbitrary). The Legendary ring in Warlords, for example, is another item that'll be obtained and upgraded throughout the expansion's content, and should be expected to also be available as an "I was there." recognition for completing the content of the expansion, and no longer available when the expansion ends. That doesn't, however, preclude us from introducing other types of items, like Legendary, similar to past Heroic (Mythic) items that would continue to be available, depending on its intent and how it's acquired.

Not intending at all to undermine any concerns, because I do think it's very valid to ask why and receive an honest answer, but to quote your post:

09/16/2014 10:24 AMPosted by MordecaĆ­

And answer a question with a question:

Why not reward players who subscribe every month?

Here's some feedback from other people's POV:

09/16/2014 10:37 PMPosted by Pallantides
It don't see how this will add value to the game, but I do see how it subtracts from the value.

It strikes me as odd to remove a quest line which was such a central part of the expansion. It's like a writer, after selling millions of copies the first printing of their novel, removing several chapters, and then reprinting it without part of the story.

09/16/2014 10:35 PMPosted by Sonicgott
I'm not entirely certain why Blizzard wants to remove the legendary questline, but, the quests may not scale properly if someone was lv100 and wanted to get a legendary cloak for the sake of having a legendary.

I'm still currently doing the Cataclysm legendary quest. That hasn't gone away, thankfully.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

If people don't care enough to subscribe, why should they be catered to?

Because some people actually take breaks and don't sub every single month of every single year.

09/16/2014 10:41 PMPosted by Caminar
09/16/2014 09:11 PMPosted by Aeonaxi
Quick, get this item that will totally be worthless in a month! Get it while you can! Hurry! Sub just for that!!!

Do you realize how absurd your conspiracy sounds? What idiot would sub just to get a cloak a month before it's worthless? And if that marketing works, you deserve what you get.

Worthless compared to what, Mythic cloaks? Hate to break it to you, but even if you're looking at them as pure stat blankets, they're going to be keeping your booty warm for quite some time to come. You realistically don't replace your cloaks until about normal raiding for min/max play.

On topic, while I hated both the time sink required for it and the overall ease of access to the only legendary in the expansion, the story of the cloak quest line was still fantastic in its own right, and I can certainly appreciate that. In addition, we'll be losing access to yet another 4 unique transmog items because of this rather random removal, due to the epic cloaks being transmoggable.

Can you not, Blizz?

09/16/2014 03:40 PMPosted by Demonhat
This is just dumb. I understand removing content - generally because it would take more work to preserve it than it is worth, such as MoP challenge modes. I get that. In this case? They've already done the work to remove the valor step, the only challenge to keep it alive is to leave it the heck alone.

Be annoyed at the legendary quest chain all you want, it was a big part of the story for MoP. It makes no sense to remove it. The only reason I see to remove it is as a marketing ploy and that is a real bad reason to start taking scissors to your game world.

09/17/2014 09:10 AMPosted by Crocelle
All Blizzard has to do is this...

Turn the "Test of Valor" into a feat of strength.
Remove that specific quest from the chain.
Re-link the quest chains together as if it never existed.

And most importantly... LEAVE THE REST OF THE QUEST CHAIN ALONE. Why on earth would they remove such a huge amount of content? The story, the solo scenarios, the cool cloak animation, etc. All of it wasted now.

The worst part is they make this DUMB decision at the very end of the expansion. So we go through the entirety of MoP assuming that this legendary is going to work like all the previous ones that came before it. "No need to work on it now, I can just get it later..." oops! If they have been honest with us at the very start of the expansion and say that this legendary will be impossible to get after MoP is over, then sure. It's still dumb... but at least people have a fair warning about it.

But what they just did now was awful. Who even comes up with these dumb ideas? Can we please just have them fired?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#235 - Sept. 18, 2014, 12:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It definitely isn't an arbitrary decision, this Legendary has been a reward for following along with the content of Mists of Pandaria. We want it to remain as a way to show you followed the content, and be a permenent recognition of your character's time and experience in this expansion. We intend to, and have plans to be, more consistent about how we treat these kinds of things going forward. I think the most concern is stemming from this seeming to be out of left field with no consistency to a ruleset for how we treat items (e.g. arbitrary). The Legendary ring in Warlords, for example, is another item that'll be obtained and upgraded throughout the expansion's content, and should be expected to also be available as an "I was there." recognition for completing the content of the expansion, and no longer available when the expansion ends. That doesn't, however, preclude us from introducing other types of items, like Legendary, similar to past Heroic (Mythic) items that would continue to be available, depending on its intent and how it's acquired.

Not intending at all to undermine any concerns, because I do think it's very valid to ask why and receive an honest answer, but to quote your post:

09/16/2014 10:24 AMPosted by MordecaĆ­

And answer a question with a question:

Why not reward players who subscribe every month?