PTR Character Copy

Forum Avatar
Quality Assurance
#1 - Sept. 13, 2014, 12:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Update 9/27:

In-game Character Copy for PTR realms is currently non-functional. We're working to get it up and running, but I don't have an ETA on when that will be completed.

=====================================================

Hello PTR Testers!

There's been some confusion about how to copy over your retail characters to the PTR so I wanted to post a quick guide to get you all started.

The old method of transferring a character to the PTR is not currently supported. This involved logging into Account Management using your Battle.net account, and navigating through a number of screens to get a character copied over. If you attempt to transfer over a character this way you will receive a message that the Character Copy service is in maintenance, although we're likely going to change that message to make it more clear.

The new method is all done in-game, without having to use an internet browser. Login to your PTR account using the Battle.net app, and select a PTR realm. Once you're on the character selection screen for the realm you want, click the Copy Character button to get started.

If your retail WoW account is on a region other than North America, make sure you select the correct region first in the top-left dropdown window.

If this is your first time trying to copy characters in-game, click the Copy Account Data button and click Okay on the popup to copy over your data. This can take a while to copy over, but when it works all your characters will be listed on this window and can be selected individually to copy over. If your name is taken, you'll need to re-name the character before you can enter the game with them.

Some ongoing issues with the Armory Website may result in your character copy being unavailable or outdated. We're monitoring this very closely and are working on a fix.

I'm going to leave this thread open for further discussion on the Character Copy system.
Forum Avatar
Quality Assurance
#288 - Sept. 24, 2014, 4:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I don't have a solid ETA, but getting Character Copy up and stable for PTR is something that we have engineers researching and investigating. Sorry for the delay on this folks, I know some of you really want to try out the 6.0.2 changes on your retail characters; there's just a lot of things in motion.