Blizzard Post
Post Buried show post
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#8 - Sept. 4, 2014, 1:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
09/03/2014 03:36 PMPosted by Discipled
Why all the fuss or so little change.

i can barely tell a difference. more would have been better.

Wanted to clarify that having the new character models look like the old models was intentional. We wanted to increase fidelity while retaining the same look and feel of the old models. The new models have more polygons, double the texture resolution, updated animation, and support for facial expressions.

09/03/2014 05:54 PMPosted by Rhonores
While I agree the developers took the lazy way out, something is better than nothing at this point.

Am I disappointed all we really got was a slightly updated model with 2004 customization options. Would I like to see more body styles, hair cuts, subrace skins, and more little customization options? Yes, but I've accepted the fact that Blizzard won't ever do it because that would require more than the bare minimum of effort.

It's actually more of a challenge and require more iteration to make a higher resolution character model look like the old one as much as possible than it is to create something entirely new.

You can get a better side-by-side comparison of old vs. new in the Artcraft: Updated Facial Customization blog.