Seal of Tempered Fate acquisition, currencies

#1 - Aug. 20, 2014, 7:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So, found the NPC that offers these in Stormshield and there appear to be four options to obtain your three Seals. At first I thought this seemed alright, until I realized that you can only use each option once per week (at least, that's the way it is implemented right now), pigeon-holing you in to choosing at least three of the four options.

The four options are:

100 Apexis Crystals (garrison daily)
500 Honor (doesn't make sense, thought Honor was going away)
300 Garrison Resources
500 Gold

My question is why can't we repeat the same method in order to get our three per week? Raiding is already a massive gold sink for people who are juggling their raid time with real life and need to buy their materials, so tacking on gold costs on top of this just seems...superfluous. 500 may not seem like much, but to someone who doesn't find much time to do much in the game besides farm a little outside raids, it'll add up.

"Gold is easy" comments don't help here. We should be able to pour all of one resource in to getting our Seals if we so choose. If I want to farm Apexis Crystals more than just from the daily quest and use 300 to get the three Seals each week, I should be able to. If someone wants to drop 1500g each week to get their Seals, that should be their choice.

If we don't have this choice, then that pretty much makes level 3 Dwarven Bunker/War Mill (for the free weekly Seal) a required building for raiders who don't have much time outside raids.
Forum Avatar
Game Designer
#4 - Aug. 21, 2014, 6:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Honor and Conquest definitely are not going away, just to clarify a misconception - you'll still be earning those currencies through PvP and using them to buy your PvP gear.

What will be going away is Justice and Valor. Over time, they've moved away from their original purpose, and given how widely available they'd become (awarded from quests, scenarios, dungeons, raids, etc.), we'd rather return to the original universal currency: gold. The final values aren't hooked up yet, but the old Valor rewards for completing your daily random dungeon or an LFR wing will be replaced with a hefty sum of gold, which should make something like the gold turn-in for a bonus roll seem far more attainable even for players who currently don't have much gold.

That said, the feedback/suggestion of allowing repeat turn-ins definitely has merit, and it's something we'll discuss and consider.
Forum Avatar
Game Designer
#32 - Aug. 23, 2014, 5:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/23/2014 09:58 AMPosted by Kezmaefele
If rewards just cost gold in WOD then I guess I already won the game.

Wont be much for me to do except raid.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that players should expect to see a vendor with a full set of endgame gear for gold as a one-to-one replacement for the Valor vendors from Mists. For the initial Warlords content, Apexis Crystals will largely fill that role, and you can see most of that structure already in place in the Beta today.

But when it comes to heirlooms, old legacy gear, elements of garrison progression, or something like the Seal of Tempered Fate turn-in that was the original topic of the thread, gold can work just fine as a universal currency. We want to offer more ways of earning gold that don't rely on repetitive activities (killing fast-respawning mobs in a field somewhere) or playing the Auction House, so that a gold cost like the weekly Seal turn-in feels fair and accessible to the average player through the natural course of play.