Please Explain Argent Tournament reset

#0 - Sept. 7, 2009, 6:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Please explain why faction change resets all work in the argent tournament and nothing else.
#16 - Sept. 10, 2009, 7:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm responding to this thread because it's written in a calm and concise manner, so thank you for that.

Simply put, while it was not a decision we enjoyed making, due to the way the Argent Tournament functions it was not feasible on a technical level to properly switch progress between factions. I am sorry we were unable to offer a better solution.
#55 - Sept. 11, 2009, 5 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Kisirani, with all due respect and I do not mean this to nitpick, but this would appear to be absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, technologically speaking.

Linking data and datasets are very common in database administration and design. They are both, in fact, completely introductory steps to managing data.

With regards to faction changing, I fail to see how it is not feasible (technologically speaking) to link factions to factions, quests to quests, and rewards to rewards. It is already being done all over the WoW landscape.

So, instead of coming off as a know-it-all, I will instead ask a question: why is the simple act of linking data not feasible with regards to faction changing?

I'm afraid you're not going to get much of a technical answer from me as I am not responsible for the database. I will say that it's quite obvious we are aware of the ability to link as you mention, as it occurs in many situations in the faction transfer process itself. It has to do with the way the Argent Tournament's system was created. There is more at work than what is readily apparent, and upon reviewing the situation with those in charge of the faction transfer, it wasn't deemed feasible currently.

It was a regrettable decision (and yes, it was a decision made prior to the Faction Change service going live) but were it as simple as the other clear links made in the process, it would have been done.