In-Game Purchase for Profession Boost

#1 - June 3, 2014, 9:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Now that the door is open to paying for 90s, I was wondering if other options like, paying real money to get just professions leveled will ever be offered, or if Blizzard has officially stated that the 90 boost is as far as they'll take the in-game store purchase.

Edited due to the amount of flak I received for unknowingly saying that paying real money for in-game items was potentiall pay-to-win.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#84 - June 4, 2014, 6:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
With the 90 boosts we want to ensure getting professions to a point where they're usable by your character supports where you want to be in the game, and doesn't require things like going back to low level zones to farm materials for crafting. Of course if your character is above level 60 when you boost you get the bonus of fully leveled primary professions. If you aren't 60 when you boost, we want to ensure professions are fairly painless to get up to a level where they're useful for your newly boosted 90 (or even if you just never bothered leveling them before). In Warlords, Herbalism and Mining will be changing to a fishing-like structure, where skill ups can be obtained from any nodes, and only the result of what you get is based on skill level. Materials to level up crafting can be obtained wholly within the newest content (Warlords) with catch up recipes like Cooking saw in Mists, and potentially additional paths to allow players to avoid having to go back to old content, if they wish.

From the Warlords of Draenor Alpha patch notes:

• Herbalists can now harvest herbs throughout the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield an Herbalist will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.
  • Miners can now harvest mineral nodes in outdoor areas of the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield a Miner will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.
  • Forum Avatar
    Community Manager
    #89 - June 4, 2014, 7:41 p.m.
    Blizzard Post
    06/04/2014 12:22 PMPosted by Daliuxing
    06/04/2014 11:55 AMPosted by Hippeaux
    Why is skinning never included in these skill-up bonuses? Skinning is the only one where I seem to always find myself going back to lower level areas committing genocide and taking mobs away from lowbies to level it because I need the skill.

Okay, I'm overstating a bit there. I actually wish there were more lowbies around killing so I could just skin and be done with it, but you get the point.

Was it an abuse issue or something?

You'd think it would be more abusive to have to clear vastly lower level areas for skins, right?

Leatherworking could use some serious love too... :P

The way skinning loot tables work makes it a very different situation than the other gathering professions, and so it's a technical limitation that keeps us from being able to easily base the result off of skill level. I know it is a desire to resolve that limitation, but it of course requires engineering work, and I'm not sure when that's expected to be completed. It could be something fairly complex, I'm not sure. I'll follow up.
    Forum Avatar
    Community Manager
    #116 - June 10, 2014, 7:03 p.m.
    Blizzard Post
    Just following up: Skinning will be using a similar system as Mining and Herbalism, allowing someone to level up their profession purely through high level content by picking, mining, or skinning high level nodes and creatures, regardless of their professions's skill level, gain skill-ups from doing so, and obtain materials usable for crafting.