Cataclysm to Outland to Cataclysm??

#0 - Sept. 15, 2009, 4:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have never gotten a blue to respond to any of my threads, but I would really like to hear how Outland ties into Cataclysm, or at least get someone responding who mentions that they have thought about the flow of things..

When Cataclysm comes out, if you start a new character, you will be in Azeroth seeing what has transpired and of course you want to do something about it. You get involved in a story about how Azeroth is in danger. You level 1 to 58 or 60 in this new world and suddenly...

You go off to Outland and leave all of this behind and "take a break" not because the story goes this direction, but because you have to level.

Then you come back to Azeroth..

This seems disjointed to me. Have the developers taken into consideration about offering a smooth transition to Outland and back?
#8 - Sept. 15, 2009, 4:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I have never gotten a blue to respond to any of my threads, but I would really like to hear how Outland ties into Cataclysm, or at least get someone responding who mentions that they have thought about the flow of things..

When Cataclysm comes out, if you start a new character, you will be in Azeroth seeing what has transpired and of course you want to do something about it. You get involved in a story about how Azeroth is in danger. You level 1 to 58 or 60 in this new world and suddenly...

You go off to Outland and leave all of this behind and "take a break" not because the story goes this direction, but because you have to level.

Then you come back to Azeroth..

This seems disjointed to me. Have the developers taken into consideration about offering a smooth transition to Outland and back?

Just because Azeroth is being affected doesn't mean the threat of the Burning Legion isn't still there (for new toons to experience at least). If anything changes in this regard it would probably be a couple quests that send you there but I wouldn't expect Outland itself to change much since messing with 2 continents is already a lot of work.
#26 - Sept. 15, 2009, 5:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
...doesn't it? Chronologically speaking, I mean? If the events of the Cataclysm happens post-BC on the timeline, than the threat of the Burning Legion has, in fact, been quelled already.

You have to consider the changes with some form of leniency, while technically you could say that if the story progresses then we need to remove a bunch of the content from Outland and Northrend as those are over - but for numerous reasons, you can probably see why that would be a bad idea. This is the same type of thing that happens by just having a persistent world, just because one quest was completed where something was killed doesn't mean it vanishes from your sight forever.

While a level 80 doesn't need to return to the locations of Outland and Northrend and can focus on the new stories - a new character hasn't helped defeat the villains in those areas so they still need to answer the call and fight them off (or in the terms people are tossing around, they need to level).
#31 - Sept. 15, 2009, 5:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Except new characters stack +10% experience items and then grind through HFP/ Zangermarsh/Terokkar then skip directly to Northrend at 68 because the quest rewards are better, the xp/h is better, and the quests are more fun.

Leaving the decision up to the player sounds good to me.