No Flying in WOD, terrible

#1 - March 13, 2014, 3:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
One of the interesting things about small group dynamics is how really terrible ideas gain traction and come to fruition. Having played in Vanilla without flying mounts then flying in all the subsequent expansions, flying is better then not.

The powers that be may believe this to be an enhancement for the game, it isn't. It is an ill conceived idea brought to you by the same brain trust that brought us Pandas and the loss of 2 million subscribers. Scrap it, let us fly.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#59 - March 13, 2014, 4:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/13/2014 08:39 AMPosted by Somaliu
It's only in the new areas. There is no difference than any other past expansions.
You cannot fly at the beginning of expansions (cata being the one exception).
I'm sure we will all live.

This is pretty true. You couldn't get flying in Outland until you reached maximum level and bought the skill. Wrath of the Lich King you couldn't fly right away either. The same recently for Mists of Pandaria in which until you reached the maximum level to get the ability to do so. This is not new for an expansion to not allow flying immediately upon entering into a new expansion.

That said, the developers are also aware of the concerns that people may have about how easy or difficult it will be to get around to the various locations. They have said before that they want to still provide convenient ways for people to still travel without minimizing the impact on exploration within the zones. As always, we welcome constructive feedback and discussion provided it's kept constructive. We'll also continue to keep an eye on things not only within beta (when that occurs) but also when we go live to see just how people truly end up playing and interacting.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#315 - March 13, 2014, 6:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I just wanted to take a moment to reiterate that constructive feedback is great –we love it– and also to reemphasize that our goal is not to make it take longer to travel from zone to zone. We're not looking to make things inconvenient or a big time sink, we want to make sure that you're getting where you need to go in as convenient of a way as we possibly can. We said this much at BlizzCon already and that still holds true.

We will do our best to keep everyone as up to date on ongoing developments as we can.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#1503 - March 14, 2014, 2:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've extended this thread a bit since it seems there are many people who are still interested in discussing this further with each other. Again, we're not unaware of people's concerns and appreciate the constructive feedback that you all have shared.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#1541 - March 14, 2014, 2:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/14/2014 07:38 AMPosted by Gravy
03/14/2014 07:29 AMPosted by Vinxnotha

Thank You Neth.

I would rather just have an answer

I've already said that what we said at BlizzCon still holds true at current. If ongoing development changes this including testing, feedback, and etc, then we'll keep people informed. We are in the midst of development and as with anytime we get into it, we often will change design ideas or implementations from what we originally thought we wanted to do to what we believe will more likely work better. We will continue to discuss our ideas as openly as possible (as Alex did) and keep an eye out on constructive feedback. We will do our utmost to address as many concerns that people may have as possible while still keeping in mind the overall health and objectives we have for the game.

We don't work in stone and design is a very fluid thing. We're going to keep moving forward toward creating fun experiences for as many people as possible. I said this over on Twitter and I'll say it again here- "Sometimes I feel I need to say this, but game design decisions are not personal. They aren't meant to cause personal distress. We do care." We want to make sure that Warlords of Draenor (and the game as a whole) continues to deliver truly great experiences and plenty of fun.