Warcraft Lore

Forum Avatar
#1 - June 1, 2013, 1:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So I decided I want to learn the lore of this game. I already have some... fuzzy details on it, as it's actually impossible to play this game as long as I have and not learn SOMETHING about it.

But I want to actual learn it. So I figured the easiest way was to play Warcraft I, II, and III.

So now I've played Warcraft I, and I'm about 10 levels into Warcraft II, and I haven't learned that much about the lore. I did learn a couple of things that I didn't know before, like the about Medivh and Aegwynn (is that how you spell their names?), some stuff about Draenor (I still think of it as Outlands), Gul'dan and the Shadow Council, and paladins. But I mean, I learned most of that from the manuals. The actual game is just an RTS with random missions in it (not that I don't like it; it's really fun).

So my question is, should I just play Warcraft III? Or does Warcraft II have some actual stuff in it that I would learn?? Because I know Warcraft III is where things start to have more of a story (I think).

AND NO SPOILERS!! NONE!! I will... I don't know I'll flay you or something. :3

Also, I refuse to read the books. Don't want to do that. And I don't want to read a summary. That's boring. I like to experience the story in games, and WoW has such an awesome one.

Thanks. :D
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#21 - Feb. 19, 2014, 2:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/31/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Øk
So I decided I want to learn the lore of this game. I already have some... fuzzy details on it, as it's actually impossible to play this game as long as I have and not learn SOMETHING about it.

But I want to actual learn it. So I figured the easiest way was to play Warcraft I, II, and III.

So now I've played Warcraft I, and I'm about 10 levels into Warcraft II, and I haven't learned that much about the lore. I did learn a couple of things that I didn't know before, like the about Medivh and Aegwynn (is that how you spell their names?), some stuff about Draenor (I still think of it as Outlands), Gul'dan and the Shadow Council, and paladins. But I mean, I learned most of that from the manuals. The actual game is just an RTS with random missions in it (not that I don't like it; it's really fun).

So my question is, should I just play Warcraft III? Or does Warcraft II have some actual stuff in it that I would learn?? Because I know Warcraft III is where things start to have more of a story (I think).

AND NO SPOILERS!! NONE!! I will... I don't know I'll flay you or something. :3

Also, I refuse to read the books. Don't want to do that. And I don't want to read a summary. That's boring. I like to experience the story in games, and WoW has such an awesome one.

Thanks. :D

As Galbrei mentioned, there's always http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/the-story-of-warcraft/chapter1 to get the overview.

WoWInsider has some great articles on World of Warcraft lore if you want to learn about the history of Azeroth and beyond as well, in addition to the Know Your Lore feature:

http://wow.joystiq.com/lore/#geography
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#24 - Feb. 19, 2014, 3:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/18/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Jujubiju
Hehe- you're responding to a necro bump?

Bah, I missed it. =(

Ah well, perhaps someone else will get some use out of the links.