Don't be embarassed to admit your mistakes

#1 - Feb. 14, 2014, 9:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Something in arenas is that people really don't like admitting they did something wrong.

It is beneficial to the player to make light of their mistakes. It is what makes us better at the game. Don't think too critically of it, just know how you can change it.

Don't confuse admitting your own mistakes with admitting others mistakes either. Because I'm sure they knew they made the mistake. If you can offer advice, do it in a constructive way... but you can't put the blame on one person. If that person is a critical part of making an arena match work, then perhaps you need to support them more. At least until you find a groove.

Being humble is a really great quality to have in arena. Raging at someone because you might think they are not as good as you are, is not the way to win arena matches.

Kind of went on a tangent there. But I feel as though if you can notice your own mistakes before others, you'll be well on your way to being a MLG player. Because while it is a team game, there is also a lot of personal experience needed.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#13 - Feb. 14, 2014, 10:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Very good read, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I totally agree. Whenever I lose a match, I try to think back and see if there's anything I could have done differently. Even in cases where I don't think I was the reason we lost, I can often think of something I could have done that may have improved our chances (even if it's something as simple as communicating better).

Constructive advice to teammates is extremely important as well. If your partner is clearly doing something wrong (or not doing something they should be), it's perfectly fine to give some suggestions, but I find I get much better results by being polite about it and not demanding or abrasive. "Could you try to LOS more?" goes a lot farther than "omg noob why are you out in the open?!"

It can be easy to get frustrated in any sort of competition, and WoW is no exception, but I find taking a step back and analyzing my own play to be a great way to curb that frustration and improve myself. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#17 - Feb. 14, 2014, 10:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/14/2014 02:29 PMPosted by Jorandrett
I started to record my own game plays, and look back on them after we were done queueing to see what we did wrong.

That's something I've started doing myself, and it's amazing how helpful it is. For example, I discovered that I had an issue with noticing when defensive cooldowns were coming up and would sometimes die despite having something available that would have saved me. Going back and watching myself play let me realize that, and set up my UI in a way that made it much easier for me to see when those cooldowns were active.

02/14/2014 02:29 PMPosted by Fairadey
http://i.imgur.com/G4te7h9.jpg

I am a burning kitten, and I approve this message.