The Death of Oqueue? (5.4.2)

#1 - Dec. 5, 2013, 12:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So, reading up on the 5.4.2 notes, I read this:

"•Cross-Realm raid browser now has new categories for Mists of Pandaria World Bosses (Celestials and Ordos) and Flexible raid difficulty for Siege of Orgrimmar.
•The cross-realm raid browser is accessed through the 'Social Pane' (bound to the O key by default) and look for the 'Raid' tab on the bottom right.
•From there you can set the character as looking to join a raid or browse players that are forming up for a raid."

If I am understanding this correctly, this sounds exactly like Oqueue.

This is wonderful news to me simply because I won't download an addon that even has a slight chance of violating TOS.

Thoughts on this, and am I understanding this right?

EDIT: Putting in the best answer thus far:

EDIT #2: Click the top to see Blizz response.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10637883888#9

I just want to reiterate that this is in no way our final implementation of the "Group Finder" feature discussed at Blizzcon. That's coming in Warlords. This is a small scrap of convenience using our existing features that we could fit into 5.4.2, and while we have no expectation that this will completely satisfy players' desire for cross-server group-finding tools, we hope that it may help a bit in the meantime.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/statuses/403632954120736768

.@oliviadgrace This is NOT a full group finder system. These are some moderate updates to the current system that people may find useful.

@Bashiok @oliviadgrace Takes our crappy old raid browser and enables some cross realm functionality. Still doing a new Group Finder for 6.0.

This isn't it, yet.
In Warlords, their answer to oqueue will be here, but until then, the tool that's in 5.4.2 is merely just a less crappy version of the currently implemented crappy browser tool. It is in NO way the tool that's coming in WoD, according to the blues.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#216 - Dec. 5, 2013, 8:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Since we're still seeing some confusion about the Group Finder, let me try to clear up what I can:

There are two completely separate developments going on here. One is the cross-realm functionality being added to our existing Raid Browser in patch 5.4.2. This is totally unrelated to the new Group Finder we announced at Blizzcon. Basically, we discovered that we could pretty easily add cross-realm browsing to the Raid Browser for 5.4 content, so we've done that in 5.4.2.

6.0's Group Finder is an entirely different thing being built from scratch. It'll allow you to find or create groups for basically any content you can think of, be it raids, dungeons, PvP, questing... heck, you could start a group for running laps in Dalaran if you wanted. It also won't be hidden away someplace that the majority of the playerbase won't notice -- it's gonna be a lot more front-and-center.

A lot of players are drawing parallels between our new Group Finder and the oQueue addon, and that's a perfectly valid comparison. We've been thrilled to see how people have taken to oQueue for finding organized groups, especially in 5.4, and feel that's the sort of thing that the game really should be providing to all players. We're not trying to "kill oQueue"; in fact, a lot of us use it ourselves. We just think that cross-realm group finding should really be part of the core game.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#309 - Dec. 5, 2013, 11:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/05/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Mazzrim
Or do you thinking having everyone on each other friend's list is how Blizzard is going to implement it?

The 6.0 Group Finder will not rely on BattleTags or RealID to form groups, no. Of course, you're more than welcome to share that information yourself with players you meet, and make new friends!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#328 - Dec. 6, 2013, 12:03 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/05/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Jaquio
We're not trying to "kill oQueue"; in fact, a lot of us use it ourselves.

If I'm taking you out of context I deeply apologize Lore, but are you saying Blizzard is alright for the time being with us using Open-Que? I ask because concern of violating the ToU is the prime reason I have not ever used it.

Using oQueue does not violate the terms of service, no.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#340 - Dec. 6, 2013, 12:24 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/05/2013 03:49 PMPosted by Mawduke
But with OQ you can put restrictions, view how well they've done before, and how well they're liked with the public. Openraid had a reputation how well people liked your raids and gave you upvotes. Is there any way they will add something like that to help people avoid groups lead by bad players, mean leaders or elitist jerks?

We do want to provide some options for group leaders to put some restrictions for who can and can't request to join their group. We don't want to do it in a way that encourages people to be too heavy-handed, but we also want to make the system easy and intuitive to use, and feel it's better for everyone if the system lets leaders be upfront about who they're willing to bring along.

Basically, we want to avoid a situation where you can be invited to a group and then immediately be kicked when the leader inspects your gear and finds you're 10 item levels lower than he or she is looking for (and then have to repeat that process until you eventually either find a group that will bring you or give up entirely). We'd rather do our best to make sure you only see groups that you've actually got a shot at running with :)