Repairs are obsolete

#1 - Oct. 22, 2013, 11:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
A very long time ago I discussed the looting system, pointing out that in a solo farming session I would spend at least 20% of that time clicking each individual corpse and collect goods. I suggested various options to improve this; for example dropping loot directly in the player's bag. My thread was welcomed with derision and flaming. 7 years later Blizzard implemented AE-looting.

Today I want to discuss one of the money sinks in game: repairs.
I understand that most players want there to be a death penalty and some feel strongly that having one's gear trashed is part of the game. But I find it an obsolete design to use durability on gear and force the player to spend hard earned coin on mundane unrewarding repairs.. It is frustrating and insulting to play a game where dieing is so easy and then end up with exorbitant repair bills - several times during a raid.
If a money sink is really required, how about implement a different method that motivates players in spending their golds in fun and rewarding activities? For example a gambling system like it was seen in Diablo2. The Black Market AH is a good idea for a money sink, but it is a lousy option since it has such a miserably low stock and choice of goods offered.

By removing durability from gear, a lot of issues would be solved; player purposely causing wipes in groups, forced to explore certain dangerous areas unarmored, utilization of any means necessary to escape an enclosed boss fight to avoid death. All of these take out from the game's fun and I personally feel forced to use all options available to escape death and minimize repair costs. I even carry a Lv1 cheap weapon to replace my current equipped one to swap out when death is imminent.

And before you go flaming me, because I know there are those who strongly disagree with me, know this: Hate the game, not the player!
Forum Avatar
Community
#42 - Oct. 23, 2013, 1:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
On face value the existence of repair costs may seem questionable, however as others have pointed out it does serve a purpose.

Without loss or the potential of losing something, the feeling of success diminishes. Some of the most punishing games can also be the most rewarding, which can be important for players. To state that repair costs are only an artificial gold sink is not quite accurate, they should deter players from dying within the game and indirectly act as an incentive for success.

The initial point about having meaningful gold sinks in the game is valid and it's something we've worked towards with a number of features, such as the Void Storage.
Forum Avatar
Community
#60 - Oct. 23, 2013, 8:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post

I take it we should see your use of 'time sink' as a Freudian slip and that you mean '(costantly compensated and rather ninnified) goldsink' instead?

Not as a Freudian slip, but yes it was meant as goldsink. Either way +1 internets for you. :)