You know what I am sick and tired of?

#1 - Sept. 3, 2013, 11:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
All of the racism that I see on my server.

People just indiscriminately using the N-word in trade chat day in day out. And I am talking about the hard "-er" one not the "-a" one. You would think blizzard would be able to do something about it. But when you get ostracized and made fun of for using the report system I can see why these people get away with it. The community is so apathetic towards the problem it is sickening.

Have you experienced racism, hate or any other form of abuse while playing wow and felt like justice was not done even after you used to report tool?

Share your story and examples! What do you think should be done about this?

inb4: Just ignore them. Ignoring the problem does not stop it, it allows the problem to fester and get worse. Putting them on ignore DOES NOTHING!
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#48 - Sept. 4, 2013, 2:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Alright, folks, all in in all this not an appropriate subject of conversation for these forums. Or at least the areas that are commonly delved into would not be appropriate.

If you witness chat that uses inappropriate words/subject matter please use the right click report option. This places them on a temporary ignore and reports the chat line for investigation.

Right-click and report it. Then move on. It is not about ignoring the problem, it is about removing said offensive player-produced content from your view. If you are so desperate to see every offensive post they make use /reload to remove the temporary ignore.

Instantaneous reaction from Blizzard is not going to happen. Your report goes on the pile with the rest of the reports from all the NA servers. They are addressed in the order they are received. There is more emphasis put on the report of the offense if multiple players report it. If you want more effective removal of the offensive language, encourage others to report it too.

Some words have very powerful meanings to them. They are not just "bad words." Downplaying the use of those words does not remove the meaning. It does not remove the offense. It does not remove the intended hurt. It does not remove the intended insult. You are not helping by telling someone they are just words. Your "help" is as much an attack as the offensive words themselves. It implies that finding the words offensive is wrong when it's not. Just because you don't find the words offensive does not mean that others shouldn't or that it's wrong that they do.

Excellently stated, Ruffle.

Um, why is this in CS?

Discussion of reporting inappropriate behavior falls under CS jurisdiction. A Moderator likely felt it was best direct here instead of locking or deleting it entirely.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

How's my driving? Click me.