Another question of the "Virtual Realms"

#1 - Aug. 17, 2013, 11:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Am on a low pop server mainly, so this whole thing with "Virtual Realms" is a godsend basically, however i have a question about it..

How will this affect medium/High pop servers with a HUGE faction imbalance? I mean will a high pop Horde Strong server be connected with a very low pop Alliance "strong" server in order to get a bit of balance? Because i read on their latest FAQ about it that they will try and consider faction balance as much as possible while they are at it...

Anyone have any information about this? :)

Cheers!
Forum Avatar
Community
#22 - Aug. 29, 2013, 11:56 a.m.
Blizzard Post

Edit: I found this on mmo-champ, an interview with Tom Chilton.
Connected Realms
Connected Realms will be used to help out lower population realms, not balance the factions on very high population realms. However, in the process of grouping low population realms, faction balance will be taken into account as much as possible.

Just quoting this for emphasis :-)

While faction balance is one of the factors that will be taken into account when deciding on which realms we will connect, we will most likely not see a perfect faction balance on the connected realms in the end. The reason for this is that the Alliance is generally the most popular faction on PvE realms, while it is the Horde that is the most popular on PvP realms... and we cannot connect PvE with PvP realms.
Forum Avatar
Community
#39 - Aug. 30, 2013, 3:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Posted by Taepsilum
It’s true that we haven’t released that much detailed information about Virtual Realms, but you can rest assured that queues and especially server capacity won’t be a problem.

if that's the case, and you are now using some tech that makes population / queues less of an issue. I see little reason to not do something there to balance things up.

Taepsilum simply means that people won't have to worry about queues on Connected Realms because, as we said in the blog, our goal with this is to give players on lower-population realms more opportunities to take part in group activities.

When looking at which realms to connect, we are most definitely taking faction balance into account. As Vaneras said though, a perfect balance is very hard to achieve. Especially as people are free to re-roll, faction change and move around at will ^^
Forum Avatar
Community
#61 - Sept. 2, 2013, 2:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
so who is getting grouped with who then, and will it go by current battlegroups?

The battlegroups is a factor for sure that needs to be taken into account, but I cannot say yet if they will be a limiting factor. Also, we are still in the process of determining which realms to connect, so we it will be a little while still before we can announce a list of the realms that will be connected.