Mechanics: Prophet Velen and +Spell Power?

#1 - July 10, 2013, 5:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As was pointed out to me in another thread, there is a mechanic about which I'm not entirely sure (and seemingly nobody else) anymore: Prophet Velen and his interactions with +Spell Power effects.

If I have a Mind Blast (baseline 5 damage) and cast it while having +1 Spell Power, we know it will deal 6 damage.

If I cast it while having Prophet Velen into play and no +Spell Power, we know it will deal 10 damage (5 x 2).

However, what happens if I have +1 Spell Power AND Prophet Velen? Would Mind Blast deal a total of 11 damage (5*2 + 1), or 12 damage [2(5 + 1)] ?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#5 - July 10, 2013, 10:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As was pointed out to me in another thread, there is a mechanic about which I'm not entirely sure (and seemingly nobody else) anymore: Prophet Velen and his interactions with +Spell Power effects.

If I have a Mind Blast (baseline 5 damage) and cast it while having +1 Spell Power, we know it will deal 6 damage.

If I cast it while having Prophet Velen into play and no +Spell Power, we know it will deal 10 damage (5 x 2).

However, what happens if I have +1 Spell Power AND Prophet Velen? Would Mind Blast deal a total of 11 damage (5*2 + 1), or 12 damage [2(5 + 1)] ?

Velen will take Spellpower into account first, so the answer to your question is 12. When you view the spell in your hand, the text itself changes when it is affected by Spellpower. Mind Blast, for example, will read "Deal *6* damage to the enemy hero." Then that will be multiplied by Velen's power.