Odd Alarm-O-Bot Situations

Forum Avatar
MVP - Hearthstone
#1 - June 9, 2013, 3:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Just some interesting situations I thought of with Alarm-O-Bot

1) What happens if Alarm-O-Bot swaps with Lord Jarraxus? (something makes me think someone MAY have asked this question before, but can't remembers)

I think this one is pretty straight-forward; replacing your hero is a battlecry, and Alarm-O-Bot doesn't proc Battlecries, so I think he just summons out at a 3/15 minion. Kind of horrible way to have him played.

2) What happens if you have Alarm-O-Bot out and no minions in hand?
Based on what we've seen with other cards, if there's no minion to swap with, I suspect it simply stays out.

3) If you have 2 Alarm-O-Bots out, how does the swapping resolve? Does the first Alarm-O-Bot swap, and then the second swap after, resulting in a chance for you to swap the 2nd bot with the first?

I'm not sure on this one, but my guess is that it resolves one at a time, leading to a chance that you could essentially waste one bot by swapping with the first one.

4) If you have a single Bot on the table, and it swaps with a Bot in your hand, will the second Bot perform a swap as well?
I'm unsure on this one, this is kind of a tricky situation. Frankly, if not handled correctly coding-wise, you could have an infinite loop of swaps. It depends how the swapping is handled I suppose. In many games I've seen, "start of turn" is actually considered a phase where you can't take any actions except those that are slated to occur in the start of turn phase. One could say that any Alarm-O-Bot that's out during the start of turn phase and doesn't swap will attempt to; one could also say that the game snap-shots which Bots are out at the start of the turn and only those ones swap.

5) This isn't a question, but more of just an interesting note: who thinks it would be fun if they had an achievement to attack with an Alarm-O-Bot? Or if you really wanted to up the stakes, dealing damage while attacking with an Alarm-O-Bot?
This is an interesting achievement in the sense that Alarm-O-Bots in theory should only be on the table for one turn but can't attack on their first turn unless given charge. There's a lot of ways to get around this, but this is neither the purpose of the Alarm-O-Bot nor an easy thing to pull off.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - June 13, 2013, 12:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Just some interesting situations I thought of with Alarm-O-Bot

What happens if Alarm-O-Bot swaps with Lord Jarraxus?

You get a very unhappy 3/15 Demon minion Lord Jaraxxus.

What happens if you have Alarm-O-Bot out and no minions in hand?

Alarm-O-Bot will just hang out on the board and not be alarmed.

If you have 2 Alarm-O-Bots out, how does the swapping resolve?

Bot 1 will swap first with a minion in your hand, then bot 2 will swap with a minion in your hand. They don't fire off simultaneously.

If you have a single Bot on the table, and it swaps with a Bot in your hand, will the second Bot perform a swap as well?

Nope. That bot wasn't out at the 'start of your turn', so the second bot will just stay out.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#10 - June 13, 2013, 12:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Here is a situation to think about.......

Alarm swaps with Jaraxxus

Rogue plays Sylvannas

Sylvannas dies and rogues gains control of Jaraxxus

Rogue Shadow Steps Jaraxxus back into his hand (as per blue post, when control of a card swaps so does the owner, even though that card is not given to them at the end of a the match)

Rogue then plays Jaraxxus normally from his hand.

Does Jaraxxus then kill the rogue hero and replace him like he would a lock?

Haha, yes, yes this works. Very clever!