what are virtual realms?

#1 - June 12, 2013, 7:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
can someone explain how this works, and which realms will be linked together etc? Will I be seeing people from WRA etc in Stormwind?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#52 - June 12, 2013, 2:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
can someone explain how this works, and which realms will be linked together etc? Will I be seeing people from WRA etc in Stormwind?

We're working on an article currently that will explain more about Virtual Realms in detail. We're hoping to have it out to you all soon and will do our best to answer as many questions as you have as possible.

Keep in mind, we've only released the PTR notes at this point and still have testing, refining, more testing, gathering constructive feedback, testing, and then... when we think it's actually ready, releasing this live. While we have an idea of when we think we are going to have the patch go live, it's no guarantee that everything will go as expected (*crosses her fingers*). This isn't something that's going to be out in a week or anything.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#63 - June 12, 2013, 2:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post

You mean listening to the complaints of the players and then promptly spitting in their faces?

I've never "spit" in anyone's face in my life, I assure you.

Ghostcrawler said it yesterday in a tweet, consider the PTR like a petri dish. We're going to put things on there from time to time to test out how they work. By doing this, we get to see the results without having to commit them and affect a larger population of players in a "permanent" way. Constructive feedback from testers is always a valuable commodity as is just having people go in to the PTR and playing like they normally would so that we can see the effect of the changes.

As I also said, Virtual Realms will not be releasing overnight. There's still time before we go live with them and we still have more to do to make sure they work in a way that makes sense and adds value to the community they serve. Again, I think once we get more details in front of people, and are able to answer more questions about it and what it will do, the more likely many of the concerns I've seen here will be addressed. And if they're not, we'll work to address them as much as possible.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#73 - June 12, 2013, 2:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/12/2013 07:36 AMPosted by Cozzene
more likely many of the concerns I've seen here will be addressed. And if they're not, we'll work to address them as much as possible.
Area 52 currently has queues as high as 1300 just to get on. Are these super high pop realms going to be merged with other super high pop realms? A52 is mostly horde, but if we merge with a mostly alliance server, we're looking at double the queue if we have another 1300 alliance also trying to get on. That's the major concern I have, is population and massive queues, especially with everything being 50% off and more people coming to our already flooded server.

I can't answer about specific realms or how they will be connected (or not) currently, but I can say that we're very aware of the need to balance between a having a healthy population and ending up with queues. We will want to make sure that people can get in and play when they want to and still have people and resources they can rely on to have a great play experience.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#721 - Aug. 5, 2013, 5:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This thread was originally from over two months ago. Please feel free to continue the discussion on a more contemporary discussion thread. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9572768592