Clarification

#1 - May 28, 2013, 5:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
First, Spell Power

Tell us how it works, please.

Right now, the community is convinced that with just a single spell power, a card like Avenging Wrath would be able to deal 16 damage.
With just one spell power, Mental collapse would deal twice as much damage, with 2 per card instead of 1.
Is this an accurate assumption?
I sincerely hope not.

I think it would make entirely too much sense for spell power to simply add more instances of damage to spell, instead of applying to each missile.

On that note, I find also find it hard to believe that a card like pyroblast doesn't benefit more from spell power. 8 mana for 9 damage, and 1 spell power only increases that damage by 10%?
The Mage's biggest bomb is only buffed by 1 damage?
Seems to me that for a card of that magnitude, each spell power should be worth at least +2 damage.

Even under those circumstances, I've no idea how spell power should interact with cards like Swipe, Explosive shot, Fork Lightning, Cleave, etc.

Just tell us how it works, please.

Second, Play vs Summon

Cards like Knife Juggler and Vaporize against Hero Powers and cards like Murloc Tidehunter.

Can Vaporize/Snipe really be baited out by Shamans and Paladins just from a use of their hero power?
Does Questing Adventurer get buffed twice if you play a Razorfen Hunter?
Does Murloc Tidecaller get buffed when Tidehunter summons a Scout?
Does Defias Ringleader count as two cards for VanCleef if you combo for his Bandit?

We've heard the designers mention that Starving buzzard (play) draws cards when snake trap (summon) is triggered.
We've also seen knife juggler (play) throw knives when Imp master (summon) pops out an imp.

But if that rule applies to every other card in the game, then why use separate words at all?
Is there a genuine distinction between the wording of Play and Summon, or are they identical, as the videos thus far have lead us to believe?

Third, Random vs Stealth

My opponent has a stealthed 11/11 VanCleef on the board, and that's his only minion. Can I drop a Mind Control Tech and take Edwin from him, despite stealth?
Would a deadly shot hit him?

Fourth, Resolution of Secrets

If I play a minion with a battlecry effect, like Mind Control Tech, and my opponent has Vaporize on the field, do I still get my battlecry? If so, does that mean my opponent Vaporized his own swapped Mind Control Tech, and I take his minion without giving anything in return?

Also, according to the definition of stealth, minions can't be targeted by abilities. If I drop a patient assassin, will he still get sniped/vaporized despite stealth?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - May 28, 2013, 10:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Excellent questions everyone, I will look into these for you.

What about if you bestial wrath the berserker

Gurubashi Berserkers are not in the "Beast" category, and cannot be targeted by Bestial Wrath.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - May 29, 2013, 11:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Can Vaporize/Snipe really be baited out by Shamans and Paladins just from a use of their hero power?

Currently, yes. However, Vaporize is changing.

Does Questing Adventurer get buffed twice if you play a Razorfen Hunter?

The "when you play" term is changing on certain cards to make them more clear as to what is played and what is summoned. "When you play" will affect cards played from your hand, while "when you summon" will include minions summoned from other minions. Depending on how Questing Adventurer changes, it would be once from the former or twice if it were the latter. This will also be the case for Edwin VanCleef and other cards of the like.

My opponent has a stealthed 11/11 VanCleef on the board, and that's his only minion. Can I drop a Mind Control Tech and take Edwin from him, despite stealth?

Mind Control Tech is changing pretty dramatically.

Would a deadly shot hit him? (Patient Assassin)

Yes, random spells can still hit Stealthed minions.

Also, according to the definition of stealth, minions can't be targeted by abilities. If I drop a patient assassin, will he still get sniped/vaporized despite stealth?

Yes.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#29 - May 29, 2013, 11:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/28/2013 03:46 AMPosted by Pedwyn
Also: will the keyword "destroy" (ie. deathwing, doomsayer) kill minions with commanding shout up? Probably? What about immune (bestial wrath)?

Yes, Deathwing will kill minions with Commanding Shout active. The "destroy" effect of Deathwing doesn't count as damage.

Will alextrazsa work on an ice blocked Mage? (Immune effects)

Very good question! We'll look into what we'll define as "Immune". :)

What about if you commanding shout and bring gurubashi berserker down to 1 health, if you attack him again, does he get +3 attack even though he didn't really take damage?

Also a very good question! We'll look into this one. For now, run very fast and very far away from the Gurubashi Berserker under the effects of Commanding Shout. :)