Could we get a PvP battleground?

#1 - May 2, 2013, 1:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Battle grounds have always been missing an important part of world pvp.... PvP. Make it like a big arena but not so big that people can't hide. 10 to 15 players forced into all out pvp. First to so many kills or 10 minutes, whichever comes first, wins the round.

No need to even create an area for it. Just make a copy of Blackrock mountain in an instance.

That is PvP I would actually like... its the reason I liked AV so much back before it was turned into race where pvp sometimes breaks out.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#15 - May 2, 2013, 3 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Battle grounds have always been missing an important part of world pvp.... PvP. Make it like a big arena but not so big that people can't hide. 10 to 15 players forced into all out pvp. First to so many kills or 10 minutes, whichever comes first, wins the round.

No need to even create an area for it. Just make a copy of Blackrock mountain in an instance.

That is PvP I would actually like... its the reason I liked AV so much back before it was turned into race where pvp sometimes breaks out.

What you're asking for is a straight Death Match type of Battleground. I'm not sure it would be compelling as you think. I'm a big fan of DM as well, at least in FPS', but for an MMO like World of Warcraft, I question how enjoyable it would be in the long run for people. I think for players who feel very comfortable with their abilities, straight head on PvP like that would be fun for them, but for others, I'm not sure it would have the same appeal.

That said, I'm not killing the discussion. I'm just interested in how you feel this would work or appeal to a wide enough audience for it to be worth creating.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - May 2, 2013, 3:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think Southshore/Tarren Mill speak to it being desired. But that's gone now.

People forget that Southshore/Tarren Mill occurred because there were no battlegrounds at the time. It was "the place to go" if you wanted mass amounts of faction vs. faction PvP. I remember, I was there. I also remember hoping a spell would go off in time. ;)

As much as I'd love to believe everyone loves PvP, it's not true. That said though, I think World of Warcraft has managed to introduce PvP to more people who may have never tried it before. This is a good thing. Creating interesting PvP encounters is important for continuing to keep people interested in it though.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#34 - May 2, 2013, 3:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/02/2013 08:15 AMPosted by Korkol

People forget that Southshore/Tarren Mill occurred because there were no battlegrounds at the time. It was "the place to go" if you wanted mass amounts of faction vs. faction PvP. I remember, I was there. I also remember hoping a spell would go off in time. ;)

As much as I'd love to believe everyone loves PvP, it's not true. That said though, I think World of Warcraft has managed to introduce PvP to more people who may have never tried it before. This is a good thing. Creating interesting PvP encounters is important for continuing to keep people interested in it though.

My question is though, why not?

What is the harm in creating a battleground with an extremely basic layout - hell, even copying an existing an arena and potentially making it bigger and support graveyards, for a deathmatch?

That's why we're discussing it. ;) I'd like to know the thoughts people have about it. I know what I personally like, but I often have to ask, is what I like of value to others? Is it going to be interesting enough to them too? If what I like is only going to appeal to a very small pool, then I know what I want may be a bit more selfish than what's beneficial to the larger populace and the health of the game over all.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#171 - May 3, 2013, 3 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/03/2013 07:08 AMPosted by Kabookie
People forget that Southshore/Tarren Mill occurred because there were no battlegrounds at the time

I disagree. Even well into Wrath people were still fighting in TM/SS

Your experience is different than mine then.

BTW, people are mistaking what I've said as an outright "it could never work". That's not what I'm saying. In fact, I'm not saying it can or can't work. I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate though to push the discussion from "It would be cool to have a Death Match style Battleground" to "Here's how it could work" or "Here's how it couldn't work" based on your thoughts and ideas.

My words here aren't "Blizzard" stating anything one way or another. I'm always interested though in hearing what viewpoints people may have.