New account/Transfer Charecter

#1 - April 27, 2013, 2:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I recently got my wife into playing wow and she now has a max charecter on my account. I want to get her own account and want to transfer her charecter. Do I need to create a new account with a different email address but same information to do the transfer? OR what exactly do I need to do?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#9 - April 27, 2013, 3:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Also some "WoW lawyers" are gonna come in here and point the no-no stick at you....

*no account sharing, blah*

Yes, it would be good advice as we do not permit the sharing of accounts, nor do we allow the sale, trade or gifting of accounts/characters.

Sorry, both names must be exact.

Just for the sake of clarification, the system requires exact last names, not first and last. Though our policies require the same registered user, which means transferring characters in this manner is against policy.

Now we understand that mistakes are made, some may not be fully aware of our account sharing/transfer policies. We do try to help when we can though in many situations that assistance is limited. I'd agree with Taamane that it would be best to contact our Billing and Account Services department to see what options may be available.

But just in case they tightened it up

Regardless of how you personally feel about the policies, Sangrae, encouraging others to violate our Terms of Use, especially on our own forums is not a good idea.

No, it isn't the same as a loan, or "something serious" but our policies are designed to help prevent some fairly negative situations. The most notable is that sharing an account can severely impact its security and can result in the compromise of the account (i.e. characters, gold/items lost).

Additionally, while the person you may be allowing access is at this very moment your one true love or your bestest of best friends, etc... it unfortunately does not always remain so and some fairly significant damage can be wrought by those seeking to cause a bit of damage on their way out. While this may just be a piddly game to you, some people have put a great deal of time and effort into their characters, so why put that at risk?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#16 - April 27, 2013, 4:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
EDIT: Honestly, Blue, if the guy's wife leaves him, or he leaves her - they go through a nasty divorce or w/e, I think the last thing he'd be worried about is his WoW account. I'd be like "screw the Orc" just don't take my house!

That is by no means relevant to the policy itself. I have advised not to encourage or instruct others in the violation of our policies and I'm afraid that advice has gone unheeded. While I would rather allow a productive and constructive discussion to continue I cannot under these circumstances.