My name got stolen and I want it back

Forum Avatar
#1 - April 15, 2013, 5:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
my account is old and was inactive for a few years. one of my character names that i had from day one launch of the game got taken from me by someone else. there appears to be nothing in place for me to get it back and i do in fact want it back. it was a gnome warlock named squishy. its a character i never finished but really enjoyed, and now that im back i wanted to play it again as something different from the tanks and healers that i usually play.

my account is old and has been inactive yes, but surely in a game as old as this people come and go and come back again. there should be some advantage to having an old account with names that you reserved. i was told by a gm that he has never heard of this ever happening before, someone coming back to the game and wanting their stolen name back and that there is no system in place for it to be returned. he suggested that i start a thread in the forums in hopes that it comes to someones attention that can do something about it.

i looked up the character who has my name and its a level 30 blood elf warlock on the dalvengyr server. it seems to be active but the fact is, he had to have petitioned to take my name and someone at blizzard had to have done it for him. all i want is my characters name back and i would appreciate a response.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#14 - April 15, 2013, 9:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The game has been out for awhile and while there is ample creativity when it comes to creating character names there are many desired names out there that have been made completely inaccessible because they exist on accounts that may not otherwise be played. With that in mind we created policies that allow us to help in such situations.

Requesting a Name to be Released for Reuse.

my account is old and has been inactive yes, but surely in a game as old as this people come and go and come back again. there should be some advantage to having an old account with names that you reserved.

Yes, people come and go, but some do not and it is nigh impossible to tell which one a specific account may be. One of the main factors involved in if a name can be released is time, but it is not how long ago you may have created the account. It is how long the account has been inactive.

04/15/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Pez
there appears to be nothing in place for me to get it back and i do in fact want it back.

There is, but it is the same policies that allowed the name to be released for reuse. If the character is inactive you may submit a ticket to ask that the name be made available for use.

It is never our intention to inconvenience our players, Pez, I'm sorry that you have been negatively impacted by this situation.

If you wish to provide feedback/suggestions about this you may want to use the in-game option through the interface.