A gripe or how to read an HPS meter

#1 - April 10, 2013, 4:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Last gripe I had on the general forums was about reactive healers and absorbs. I'm getting really tired of getting into groups with people not knowing how to read a healing meter and just going off HPS (as if it means anything).

This weeks gripe: how to read a healing meter- especially when you don't know how. It's pretty simple:

HPS is NOT DPS

Heals per second is this:

The higher the damage, the more your healers are going to heal for. If there isn't much damage being taken or if it's mainly a tank healing fight, your average healer is going to be healing for less.

Things that effect a healer:

Group composition: if you are the only shaman in a raid group with 2 discs and 2 holy pallies, your healing is going to be lowish. That is due to the other classes mechanics and can't be helped.

The fight: If there isn't a lot of AoE damage, there isn't going to be a lot to heal.

Cool down usage: most healers do not pop there heavy healing cool downs unless they know a lot of raid wide damage is about to go out.

HPS is not the only part of the meter you should be reading when it comes to "boot the healer":

Dispels- did the healer do dispels on a fight that required it?
Overhealing: is the healer high on the overheals meter but low in HPS? That means they are healing but their heals aren't actually doing anything
Deaths: did the healer die early into the fight and what to?

So before you play the "Kick the healer" game, you need to be looking at the overall picture- not just half of it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#26 - April 11, 2013, 12:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
As a healer, it sure would be nice to have... I'm not sure how it could work, but somehow a weighted healing contribution meter. Or maybe one exists and I haven't seen it. It seems almost harmful to have straight HPS meters be the first thing people come across, and if they don't know how every healing class works, and all the variables of each fight... it's just a lot more complicated than DPS meters and, as far as I've seen, no good summation of it all. I'm sure it'd be a lot of work, and I don't really see a lot of people calling out healers in my LFR runs. But with a more holistic healing meter maybe they could! ;D