Too many nameplates in pvp lol

#1 - April 5, 2013, 7:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I used to be annoyed with totems because there were so many nameplates, now we have warlock imps, hunter stampede and so much else. This is a little bit annoying to me and the mop animal farm abilities you've created arent really cool or funny abilities at all tbh.. Any1 agree or disagree? Its all just a mess in pvp now imo.

- I dont really wanna hide nameplates from pets either, its kind of important to know where some pets are.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#4 - April 5, 2013, 9 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi Thyrazz,

I understand your concerns and have to say that I also find some “pet” situations a tad confusing in arena, more specifically anything that involves warlock’s Wild Imps, hunter’s pets, shaman’s pets and shaman’s totems tend to confuse me if there’s too many of them, especially when these classes are playing on the same team.
So I turned them off (pet’s only for now), things got much better. You can still see them, or, you can actually “see them” for real now, and nameplates will get your attention to the most important targets. So yes, I think there are cases where nameplates can do more harm than good, and that’s why you are given the choice to disable them independently from each other (Enemies, Pets, Guardians, Totems).

If you want to go a bit further you can get some addons that change how nameplates appear and behave, so for example, I use Tidyplates with a plugin called ThreadPlates and have it configured so that it only shows me nameplates for a very specific totem and if you prefer it can also instead just reduce the size and transparency of particular nameplates, you can customize most of the things about nameplates with such powerful addons.
We don’t want to add this kind of features to our default interface because one, it would be too confusing, (there are probably too many options there already, and it can get overwhelming very quickly, especially to new players), and two, because addons are a good thing and it’s nice to let them exist without making them redundant with the default interface, especially when they are too “specialized”, it makes much more sense for those features to have their own niche and serve those who search for those features in particular, than overwhelm everyone else that is not interested in such features with excessive information and customization.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - April 5, 2013, 1:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The thing is, we dont want to have to HIDE the nameplates.. I really want to know where their pets are, who they are on or when they are coming to stun or interupt me. They should remove abilities like this imo, i wouldnt even enjoy them if i had those spells
And that’s a fair concern Thyrazz, nothing wrong with providing feedback about it. Developers are already aware of the potential for an excessive number of pets becoming somewhat overwhelming in arena, but we’ll reinforce that idea by relaying more constructive feedback back to them.

I have to say this though, you kind of make it sound like everything becomes invisible without nameplates on, and I disagree, removing a nameplate doesn’t make you stop seeing any pets, or even their names, so you still see where they are, who they are on and when they are coming at you.
I suppose this is something very subjective but personally I see nameplates as a great tool to highlight important enemies while also providing a quick way to target them and to add potential for customization via addons (for example, by adding layers of information like buffs/debuffs).

Great there is discussion on this. I want to use as default UI as possible. I would like to have pets and others as the "small" bar that some small critters have. Can this be done, at least an option for it? The technology exists.

SO what I want is in the options, for each (players, pets totems etc) to choose "normal" nameplates with cast bar etc and "small" nameplates which are currently used for some small enemies
That's a nice suggestion and I'll mention it to the devs, maybe they think it’s worth the added complexity ;) But like I said, the interface is already getting pretty filled up with options, and there are free addons that already do the things you ask for.

It's still a nice suggestion though and I completely understand the need some players have for playing exclusively with the default interface (also because of PvP tournaments, although everyone is on equal footing there) without having to feel handicapped by that decision, although to be honest that's a nearly impossible task when the interface is so customizable and everyone is free to create their own addons, which makes them always have an inherent advantage, not only they have the potential for having a lot more developers involved, but they can also push updates much faster and always be on the edge of innovation, players can also act as their quality assurance team, which, since it’s a strictly optional decision, ends up working great.

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys, I know that discussions around PvP have a tendency to easily turn into heated arguments because... well, because it’s just the nature of PvP, it’s easy to get frustrated about every single thing that you think is impairing you from a having a better performance and beating your opponent(s), but please try to keep it civil, that’s the only real way to get the attention everyone in here deserves, and we all know that deep down, we’re all here for the same reason, whether it’s balance, visuals, interface, it doesn’t matter, it all comes down to improving the game as a whole so we can all have a better experience and simply have fun.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#21 - April 5, 2013, 2:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Maybe an option to turn off the mini zoo's that are around like Mirror images, wild imps, Stampede pets? idk but those name plates are not needed at all while you do need to see DK pets, mage pets, lock pets.

You do have a point, but you can already do that with addons like the ones I mentioned before. All you have to do is customize it and you will be able to enable/disable, scale, and adjust the transparency of each creature’s nameplate.
Of course in the case you also restrict yourself exclusively to the default interface I'm afraid that even if something does change, it will still take quite some time.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#23 - April 5, 2013, 2:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
And on topic, the UI acctuly have the option to not show pet and totems bars. as for you not wanting to remove pets from that, well then you have to accept that you get those extra bars sometimes.

http://i.imgur.com/rvld8md.jpg

Hi Prosít, thanks for providing the screenie, I'm sure it will help some people.

I have to ask though, do you tango?
What a lovely transmog... ahahah!

Enjoy your weekend!