#1 - 2013/03/14 03:00:00 PMUPDATE 19/03: I asked Holinka on Twitter about the Conquest catch-up cap, but the subject got changed into gear disparity. Check it out here https://twitter.com/holinka/status/313776390975651842
I returned today from a very unfortunate ban for having a few words in a thread title written in capitals, even though it was not a 'caps means I'm talking loud'-title. Anyway, with my grande rentrée I want to address the issue we have in gear disparity at the moment. I will explain.
In the current state of PvP, gear plays a huge factor in victory or death. If you want to compete at higher rating, maxed out gear is required.
In season 12 we had the possibility to upgrade our gear up to two times, from item level 483, to 487 and finally to 491. This limited one to only being able to gear up one specc: if you did gear up another specc, you would fall behind in gear - and therefore limiting your possibilities in Rated PvP.
Blizzard noticed this and removed the upgrading feature with the launch of 5.2. However, in my opinion, they made the mistake of keeping the upgraded Malevolent s12 gear.
Season 13 Tyrannical gear has an item level of 493. This is TWO item levels higher than the 2/2 S12 Malevolent. The difference in stats are minimal. Weapons are even worse, as S12 2/2 T2 weapons have better stats than S13 T1. This results in new 90s being behind in gear against season 12-90s.
We saw how 'new'-characters could not compete last season, and will see this again till close to full Tyrannical is acquired by these characters.
3. An idea I had a long time, but actually forgot, then just found it in one of my posts months back, lol.
Make it so that players who have a full PvE set equipped get a x% stats bonus in y stat, always or just when they enter a dungeon or raid. This way, PvP gear will not disturb dungeons, raids or LFR. The item level of PvP now does not matter at all if you compare it with PvE.
- PvErs need a full PvE set, which means they will farm older instances as well;
- gear difference between PvP gear of the same season does not have to be as big as now, while gear of past season can be way lower level
- it will require some major changes in PvE
1. A very easy one: remove the upgrades and tune the item level down to the original state of S12 Malevolent gear (for both gear and weapons - T1 and T2).
What are your thoughts about this? Please, share them. Keep it constructive.
Vote up if you think this issue should get more attention, vote down if you think this is not relevant at all.
- gear difference is not that big as it is now
- people have something new to aim for
- fresh start
- people that worked 'hard' (aka, get cap every week) will lose their 2/2 on their past season's gear -----> I think that a new season should be a fresh start, therefore, gear from a past season should not be that big of an advantage throughout the new season.
2. Whether the S12 Malevolent get's reduced to the original 0/2 state, or kept the same, you can always buff S13 Malevolent (honor) gear to be better than S12 Malevolent 2/2. Buff the item level and make it so that PvP gear does not count up to the item level required to enter LFR.
- seperate gear for PvP and PvE
- people have to do older LFRs and raids to obtain gear for the new instance
Still a little bit disappointed that the idea I had of a conquest catch-up cap did not make it to 5.2 yet and is postphoned to 5.3.