New resilience formula in 5.2?

#1 - March 5, 2013, 4:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As I have the European timezone I cannot confirm if the following is true on 5.2 live, but on the PTR the value for Resilience are different. Might be only a tooltip error.

Screenshot from live: http://www.abload.de/img/live9lsgt.jpg

Screenshot from 5.2 PTR: http://www.abload.de/img/ptr9ks2m.jpg

1.) Can anyone confirm the change on 5.2 live?

2.) Does anyone know the new formula?
Forum Avatar
Community
#3 - March 5, 2013, 5:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We have indeed made a change to the formula for resilience. Currently in patch 5.1 resilience scales exponentially, in patch 5.2 it will scale linearly. What this means is that at higher ratings of resilience you will see little to no change in damage reduction, but at lower ratings it will go up :)

What we did was take the best geared players and made sure that their resilience did not change, from there we scaled down linearly. We made sure that nobody would lose any damage reduction, but those who are undergeared will gain some to help with their survivability. So while current gear will not be affected, this new formula does mean that the theoretical max of resilience has decreased slightly. By this I mean that when you reach full Tyrannical gear you will have a little bit less damage reduction than if this change was not implemented.
Forum Avatar
Community
#13 - March 5, 2013, 5:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/03/2013 17:32Posted by Drakedog
Why would they reduce the amount of resil you have at lvl 90, when the dmg in PvP is already too high.....
We have not reduced the amount of obtainable resilience, we have simply changed the formula for how the amount damage reduction from resilience is determined. Players in their top end gear right now should see almost no change in their damage reduction, but those with lower levels of resilience should see more.

The only time you should start seeing less damage reduction from resilience is when you start using the Tyrannical gear in patch 5.2.
I explained it in my last post here:
05/03/2013 17:08Posted by Nakatoir
So while current gear will not be affected, this new formula does mean that the theoretical max of resilience has decreased slightly. By this I mean that when you reach full Tyrannical gear you will have a little bit less damage reduction than if this change was not implemented.

05/03/2013 17:40Posted by Akarina
It's so frustrating that you ignore stuff like this that has a huge impact on the game for this long and only mention it when a "known" person comes forward.
I am sorry about that, but the person asking the question does not determine if an answer will be given or not. I was not able to respond to your post as unfortunately at that point in time I did not have the necessary information to reply with an answer.
Forum Avatar
Community
#20 - March 5, 2013, 6:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/03/2013 17:53Posted by Dumpey
So am I understanding it correct that we will have less resilience/ damage reduction in our end gear than we do now?
No, I feel that my explanation may have been misleading. Your resilience will continue to increase as you get more of it, so you will have more resilience in Tyrannical gear than in Malevolent. The explanation is only about when you have full Tyrannical gear and not comparative to Malevolent gear.

So, to elaborate; the theoretical max of damage reduction when wearing full Tyrannical gear is now lower than what it would have been if this change to the formula didn't occur, but not by any drastic amount. In current patch 5.1 gear, your resilience should be either the same as it was before, if not, better.

05/03/2013 18:02Posted by Dumpey
BURST is still too high even on people with full resilience and Blizzard's solution is too make resilience/ damage reduction less??
Nope, your damage reduction will still increase going into the future, just the theoretical max has been lowered slightly. This change was aimed more towards allowing undergeared players more resilience, those at higher levels of resilience should notice little to no change.
Forum Avatar
Community
#48 - March 6, 2013, 10:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/03/2013 09:32Posted by Cindela
They must really think the dmg is to low.
Far from it, this change was not because we thought that damage was too low. This change was made simply because we saw that damage reduction was scaling faster than damage was. This meant that as you started getting more resilience over time, the better the returns were that you saw in getting even more of it.

The change to the formula that calculated resilience was done to correct this trend. The additional resilience that you get in patch 5.2 would have made it that much more beneficial to stack, so it would have been a stat that was far too attractive. We hope this explains the thoughts behind the change and wanted to let you know that we are monitoring damage as always and we'll turn some knobs to adjust it if we have to. :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#50 - March 6, 2013, 10:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/03/2013 10:45Posted by Rekkiem
No player worth their salt stacked anything BUT resi in 5.1
That is because it was so beneficial to stack, which is why we made this change. The benefits would have also been exacerbated in patch 5.2 with even more resilience on Tyrannical gear.

06/03/2013 10:45Posted by Rekkiem
This will not change in 5.2
Maybe not, but that is fine. We are more than happy with players stacking resilience again in patch 5.2 as long as it's no longer outscaling damage too much and is not clearly the best choice, this is what the change to the resilience formula addressed.
Forum Avatar
Community
#59 - March 6, 2013, 5:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/03/2013 15:27Posted by Ambirdhh
It was pretty obvious for most of Pvper's that the need to stack PVP Resi was because how much high damage in the game , even while stacking Resi damage was still high.
Resilience will still be an attractive stat, there is no doubt about that, but I think that you neglected to read the last part of one of my posts:
06/03/2013 10:34Posted by Nakatoir
We hope this explains the thoughts behind the change and wanted to let you know that we are monitoring damage as always and we'll turn some knobs to adjust it if we have to. :)
So the amount of damage and players being able to mitigate that damage is most definitely still on our radar. If we see a need to do so, we will be making some tweaks and a adjusting some knobs if we have to, to deal with damage concerns.