LFR and lockboxes... Greed option rolls please!

Forum Avatar
MVP
#1 - Feb. 25, 2013, 3:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
First I am going to make a point that I do not care on whether I get lockboxes in an LFR or not so this post is NOT being made for some personal gain. I get plenty of lockboxes grinding mobs in general on my own, so I am happy with the number I gain in general during game play. I tend to click Greed and then see if everyone did the same, and if they did if I win it.

However what DOES irk me is whenever one of these lockboxes drops and someone has to Need roll on them and the arguing it causes. It is about this arguing I am writing mostly. I think the better to make it that ALL lockboxes in ALL situations where there is a GROUP involved (i.e. two or more players) that they are a GREED ONLY item. I notice that certain items such as orbs in Cata dungeons are greed roll only so do the same with ALL lockboxes TOO, especially in an LFR. It would stop the rage quits over some box someone got, and it would stop a lot of the soul destroying arguing that could ensue that stops an LFR go smoothly from that point onwards.

I guess people have differing opinions and experiences. I am writing as an observer as I just shrug my shoulders over not getting the lockbox. I am also writing as an observer having seen the arguments enough times in an LFR to start to think "oh no, not again..."

And before you say "do it on normal mode with friends/guild mates instead", I actually like LFR for the less rigid requirements of "must raid" it offers. I am NOT complaining about LFR or the lockboxes. I am just stating a fact about some behaviour I am seeing happening and how it could be solved.

Lockbox Greed Roll for the win!!
Forum Avatar
Community
#14 - March 1, 2013, 1:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi Keshayra,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.
I’ve seen this happen quite often and I completely understand your point. This is the kind of problem that shouldn’t exist; it exists because of the meaning of the words greed and need.
I know what I just said sounds a bit silly, so please bear with me for a sec...

Let’s face it; no one should need on lockboxes because no one actually “needs” a lockbox. Only Rogues used to have a somewhat good excuse for it but that’s not even the case anymore.
So the trick is, if no one actually needs a lockbox, but the option is still there, why aren’t we all “needing” on lockboxes instead of greeding?
Because “need” has a pretty strong meaning and is tied to social and moral implications. But if we all agree that no one really needs lockboxes, doesn’t that make the word meaningless? If you look at those two buttons “greed” and “need” in a logical manner without thinking about the meaning behind the words but only thinking about the value that each one has in terms of rolling priorities, you will see only one logical option, which is “need”.

This option will be the only one that will make sure the roll is fair, since it’s the highest priority roll, which in my opinion should be the one used for cases like this, when an item is accepted by everyone as being “neutral” as in, “not needed by anyone”.
Bottom line is, you want everyone to click on greed, but the effect of everyone clicking on need will have exactly the same in terms of logic, except that the latter will make sure that everyone has the same highest priority roll so ends up being the safest option.

Of course that will never happen because people feel that clicking on “need” makes them seem too greedy due to the meaning of the word, it’s the social and moral aspect that creates this problem, because in terms of logic, there would be none as long as everyone would click need instead of greed.

TL:DR
Yes, I agree with you, I’d rather see only one rolling option on lockboxes too. This is a matter of pure logic vs social morality based on the meaning of words. We’ll send your feedback to the devs and share any news we might have about this in the future with you.