Difficult solo content please.

#1 - Feb. 20, 2013, 12:49 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Can we get some? Some difficult content that doesn't require other players? I know this is an MMO but there should still be a strong solo aspect to the game. We are still heroes of the Alliance and the Horde. Why is it that whenever we are presented with a challenge we resort to strength in numbers? Even the legendary questline requires the aid of other players.

Can we get some extremely difficult phased solo questlines that hold epic rewards (not necessarily heroic level gear, perhaps really awesome transmog weapons or special on use items) in the end for players skilled enough to finish them? The quests can use the same mechanic that challenge dungeons do where they reduce your stats to a certain amount.

It just feels like the only difficult content requires other players, and that the most you can by yourself is soloing old instances or dailies.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#53 - Feb. 21, 2013, 1:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/19/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Spinnerdh
More difficult single player content, not just more "Kill this/Gather this" dailies. MMO just means massive multiplayer and online. Nowhere it say that a requirement is that the majority of content require multiple players just to experience.

Speaking personally (I'm not speaking for anyone but myself in this post, I'm just indulging my own curiosity), I'd like to know what you (or anyone else that thinks this is a good idea) had in mind specifically? By which I mean to say, can you describe the kind of content that you think would work well and be fun to play, without over-shadowing group content as the best method of experiencing World of Warcraft or getting items?

I'll freely admit that "challenging solo content" isn't a great time investment for developers in terms of what will benefit the most players, and I'd also like to point out that shared experiences are implied by the term "massively multiplayer". Still, that doesn't mean that well conceived solo content doesn't have potential merit. There's more than one sort in World of Warcraft already, though they vary in terms of difficulty and rewards.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#90 - Feb. 21, 2013, 4 a.m.
Blizzard Post
However, it's a different story at max level. I would enjoy the occasional, challenging, max-level, multi-zone, elongated, epic lore, single-player quest.

I should point out that we agree that they're worthwhile occasionally, particularly when they're hooked up to a grandiose purpose. The upcoming Warlock quest for fel-green fire should present a significant challenge. The 5.2 leg of the legendary quest line should also present some nice challenges.

As for bringing loners together? I have a feeling that the Isle of Giants will prompt at least some erstwhile soloers to seek out groups for a bit of the 'ol ultra dino slaying.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#94 - Feb. 21, 2013, 4:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Perhaps I'm just reading what I want to in your words but I don't think that looking at this as "we need ways to bring the loners together" is the right way. A better way, in my opinion, would be to think of it as "how can we make difficult content for loners without forcing them into groups?".

I was just playing off of what one of the posters in this thread said, that's not how I perceive it. I do think it represents some fun non-instanced group content though.