10% nerf to old riads! Y?

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#1 - Feb. 6, 2013, 3:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Woah, you're nerfing the old raids by 10%? I'm certain you don't have compelling and well written reasons as well as supportive systems to ensure my time is recognized.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#2 - Feb. 6, 2013, 3:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for your question Bashiok, I’m SO GLAD YOU ASKED.

Something that has continued to evolve over the life of the game has been end-game progression, and what’s required of your character to see what is at any one time considered the final raid. Originally it was a very linear path. You had to gear up through one raid before you could attempt the next, and the one after that, and so on. It meant that if you were even slightly behind the curve you could potentially never catch up. We began adding mechanics and options in Burning Crusade and beyond to ensure players could, with effort, have some ability to catch up. Fast forward to Cataclysm where we believe we went too far the other direction and a freshly minted 85 didn’t really have to do anything before jumping directly into Dragon Soul.

In Mists of Pandaria we want to get back to where we were in helping people catch up, but only through some effort in completing prior content. We don’t want it to be a linear A->B->C model again, because that causes a lot of undue burden on guilds attempting to catch up alts and replacements, but we also don’t want the Cataclysm model of being able to more or less skip straight to the end, invalidating everyone’s efforts who came before.

New characters coming into Mists of Pandaria will be going through Mogu’shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring, killing bosses, and gearing up before moving on. Due to that we’ll be adjusting the difficulty, as well as item drops, to make progression a bit quicker without shortcutting people directly to the Throne of Thunder raid. With the release of 5.2 enemy health and damage in the three prior raids will be reduced by 10%. We expect this to be a one-time reduction, and not a slowly increasing reduction as we’ve done previously.

In addition, item drops are being greatly increased, including those from Elder Charm of Good Fortune bonus rolls.
In addition, as stated in the patch notes, costs of 5.0 and 5.1 Valor items are being reduced by 50% and 25% respectively.
IN ADDITION! If you’re killing bosses in Normal and Heroic before 5.2 releases, and thus pre-nerf, you’ll actually get Feats of Strength honoring the accomplishments you made before the change – which is pretty cool. IMO.

With these changes we hope to see players able to catch up when coming into the game mid-expansion, or leveling an alt, but still putting in the time and effort to get to the latest tier.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - Feb. 6, 2013, 3:24 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/05/2013 07:16 PMPosted by Bashiok
It meant that if you were even slightly behind the curve you could potentially never catch up.

I'm going to ignore everything else you said and instead quote this one sentence out of context and refute it vehemently.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#61 - Feb. 6, 2013, 3:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/05/2013 07:29 PMPosted by Luna
Is Valor going to reset? Inquiring minds want to know.

To the front page with you!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#98 - Feb. 6, 2013, 3:58 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This is the mother of all freaking awesome.

Um.... Bashiok... could you answer me this one thing, though?

Will you be wiping Valor when 5.2 drops?

I don't want to be at, say, 1500 Valor trying to get a piece of gear and then..... POOF. I log in on patch day and I now have 0 Valor and 1500 Justice that are..... useless to me.

We just posted something on the front page. Curious, do you have a book mark directly to the forums, were you already here and missed it, or do you maybe just quickly click the forums button?

No sarcasm or disrespect, honestly curious how you use the site and if there's something we can't do to get front page announcements in front of more people.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#103 - Feb. 6, 2013, 4 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/05/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Hirai
Bookmark that takes me straight to the Forums.

Thank you!

02/05/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Hirai
EDIT: Can you guys PLEASE give us a 2 week warning before 5.2 drops, so we can prepare for this and choose how to spend our valor? I really really really do not want to fall 200 or so VP short of a major upgrade and run out of time.... that would make me very upset.

Yes, we are shooting to provide an approximate two week warning before the patch hits. Of course with the constant and consistent caveat that the patch release could always slip.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#109 - Feb. 6, 2013, 4:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/05/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Hirai

Thank you!

Bah, I edited after you read.

Bah, I edited after you replied. ;)