The Worst Idea Ever Conceived by Blizzard PT2

#1 - Jan. 18, 2013, 5:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The discussion was not concluded.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3sm5ec/

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

The 2200 rating requirements on gear will be removed in patch 5.2, and when that happens, the only barrier to acquiring top of the line Elite gear will be the 27,000 Conquest Point seasonal currency requirement. While highly rated players will still earn gear more quickly, there won’t be an invisible wall to progression at 2200 rating.

When patch 5.2 lands, Blizzard will have for the first time in WoW's history made it so that no PvP gear whatsoever has a rating requirement. This started in in Cataclysm with the removal of rating requirements for individual pieces of PvP gear, and now Blizzard goes a step further with the removal of the 2200 requirement from .

Their justification and rationale for this is that there's an invisible wall to progression right now at 2200. That is partially true, as some classes who scale incredibly well with T2 (generally physical damage dealing specs, such as Arms Warriors) make fighting a T1 team incredibly lop sided in an arena, but that still does not explain why Blizzard is allowing players who have simply banked conquest points from the start of the season (potentially even by just completing enough random BGs every week) T2 gear rather than just making T2 gear purely aesthetic.

Instead of there being an invisible wall at 2200, there will be fragments of that invisible walls strewn across the MMR brackets as players entering the season a few weeks late or missing a few weeks of conquest caps will now be put at a gear disadvantage. While currently the invisible wall is coupled with a skill difference, the fragments of the invisible wall in 5.2 will simply result in equally skilled players losing to eachother due to a gear difference.

A large problem of T2 gear this season is that I would hazard a guess to say that most of the people with T2 this season wintraded. Wintrading has never been as widespread on US servers as it presently is in S12. Wintrading is primarily a problem in RBGs right now, so an obvious solution would be to remove the ability to gain T2 gear from RBGs rather than doing what Blizzard is currently doing.

Another potential solution would be to make T2 purely aesthetic and remove the stat differences between T1 and T2 weapons. This would allow Blizzard to stay true to the spirit of PvP that they have followed since S1 while solving the issue of gear differences.

TL;DR: 2200 rating requirement removed from elite gear, 27000 seasonal conquest earned put in place of it. This is a terrible change for both high-end players and casuals.

T2 is an actual goal for many players that are in the 2k-2.4k bracket. Not everything has to be about Gladiators titles and mounts. Typical blizzard to always take it to the extreme.

- Kuroz

01/17/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Poppychulox
I've noticed all of the people in favor for the free T2 are the ones without T2.

@PvEers, would you, too, not be angered if heroic raid gear was handed out to everyone through daily quests and LFR? I say this because this is essentially the PvP equivalent of doing just that.

This is congruent to giving Challenge-mode transmogrification gear to everyone who has earned 12000 Valor points in a tier.

Ay, m8s, why is it called "elite gear" if everyone gets it?

Don't remove the only carrot-on-a-stick for many casual PvPers.

01/18/2013 09:37 AMPosted by Janjanson
Honest answer please, do you believe you deserve T2?

I do.

This is a computer game.

I pay the same subscription fee as you.

- The rationale of most of the people in favor of this change. Do you deserve the same GPA as a student who works more diligently than you in university simply because you pay the same amount in tuition as the latter student? Of course not, that is an idiotic assertion.

Even in the realm of WoW, do LFR raiders deserve the same gear as heroic raiders simply because they pay the same subscription fee?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#214 - Jan. 19, 2013, 2:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I made a post over in the Arena forum, for anyone that missed it. Might help smooth out some of the discussions forming.

(and quoted a few posts above this one as well! thanks shoshannah)